• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sharp Hip Pain

Wishful

Does anyone else get this? At times I get a sharp pain on the sides of my hips, above the socket. Not quite like a needle, but very localized. It occurs on both sides, though usually not at the same time. Pressing on the point temporarily alleviates the pain. What actually works longer is to twist and wiggle my hips, working the point where the spine meets the hip. My guess is that it isn't a physical pain, but misfiring of the nerves involved in pain signalling.

I've had this occur intermittently for many years. Sometimes it just lasts a few minutes or hours, sometimes it shows up for several days in a row. It just showed up again a few days ago.

I'm guessing that it's unique to me, but I thought I'd post it anyway.

Kati

Patient in training
Hi @Wishful it may be best to get assessed professionally to rule out physical disease (osteoarthritis, etc) and then to rule out imbalance in your musculo-skelettal system via both a medical dr and physiotherapy.

This is not a common symptom of ME

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Mary

Moderator Resource
Does anyone else get this? At times I get a sharp pain on the sides of my hips, above the socket. Not quite like a needle, but very localized. It occurs on both sides, though usually not at the same time. Pressing on the point temporarily alleviates the pain. What actually works longer is to twist and wiggle my hips, working the point where the spine meets the hip. My guess is that it isn't a physical pain, but misfiring of the nerves involved in pain signalling.

I've had this occur intermittently for many years. Sometimes it just lasts a few minutes or hours, sometimes it shows up for several days in a row. It just showed up again a few days ago.

I'm guessing that it's unique to me, but I thought I'd post it anyway.

That sounds similar to something I get. My chiropractor told me it was bursitis (yeah, an old-time name!) The bursa, sacs of some type of fluid in the hips and other places, can become inflamed. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00409

I don't know if this is what you have, but it sounds very similar to what I have.

Timaca

I get hip pain from time to time. What helps alleviate the pain is something similar to what you described....twist and wiggle the hips. I end up swinging my leg from side to side (not front to back). Then also picking up my leg with the knee bent and circling the leg both forward and backward. That seems to work for me..... It can take a day or two, but the pain lessens, then goes away.

All the best,

Wishful

The bursitis suggestion was interesting and sounded like it might fit. Further checking showed that the sacs are on the thigh bone. My pain seems quite definitely high up on the hip bone, so it's probably not bursitis. It's also pretty clearly tied in with other CFS symptoms. It's annoying, especially when trying to fall asleep, but doesn't show up often, so it's hardly worth going to a doctor for. I don't want a reputation as a whiner about minor discomforts. I _think_ I've mentioned it to doctors before, and they showed no interest in it.

I posted just on the off chance that dozens of people would say: "Yah, I get that too."