• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Severe Migraine with even tiniest crumb of Metafolin or active B12...

I posted this in 3 other threads but then thought it would work better to create my own thread.

Hi guys I am new to this website. I totally believe methylation is key to my healing from CFS/ fibro. Two years ago I took 800mcg folic acid and felt AMAZING for two weeks. I slept better. My back pain went away. The depression lifted. Then all of a sudden I started to get a migraine every time I took the folic acid. Even when I halved the dose and took it a month later, I still got a migraine. Now two years later, I still can't tolerate even a quarter of a tablet of metafolin. What is going on? I also get an immediate migraine from B12...even if I nibble off the slightest bit of a tiny active B12, I get a SPLITTING headache to the point of having to lie in bed in pain for the next 24 hours. :(

1. Does anyone know what could be going on? Or what I could do to be able to tolerate folic acid and B12? I know if I could tolerate these vitamins, I would feel much better. For some reason B6 or P5P gives me no problem at all.
2.What other vitamins and cofactors do I need to be taking to make sure these work well? Is this about potassium?
3. What kind of testing should I get done to see what deficiencies I have?

Thank you for all your help!

Lola

Crux

Hi Lola;

This is a very difficult problem... and I'm still working on this too. It would be a good idea to get some tests done, such as the ones that Rich recommends. (Someday, I will.)

From the reading I've been doing about B12 and Folate, one possibility for intolerance may be that there isn't enough zinc available to counter-balance their effects. So maybe a small amount of supplemented zinc would help.

Potassium has helped some of my milder headaches, but zinc has helped with my more migraine types. Magnesium is also effective.

Hi Crux,

Yes I just want to figure out what kind of testing I need and what kind of doctor I should go see?

Lola