• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Serum cytokines in patients with moderate and severe CFS/ME

MikeJackmin

Aims
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME) is a disabling illness with an unknown aetiology and diagnosis is based on symptom-specific criteria. Immunological dysregulation and cytokine abnormalities are consistent in CFS/ME. As recent studies have highlighted the importance of assessing severity subgroups in the illness, the purpose of this study was to further examine the relationship between severity subgroups in CFS/ME, assessing Th1/Th2/Th17 and inflammatory cytokines in severe (housebound) and moderate (mobile) CFS/ME patients.

Methods
The Centres for Disease Prevention and Control (1994 CDC) Criteria for CFS/ME was used to define CFS/ME participants and severity scales such as the Fatigue Severity Scale (FSS), Dr. Bell’s Disability Scale, the FibroFatigue Scale and the Karnofsky Performance Scale (KPS) were used to confirm CFS/ME subgroups as moderate/mobile or severe/housebound. Participants included healthy controls (n = 22, age = 40.14 + 2.38), moderate/mobile (n = 22; age = 42.09 + 2.72) and severe/housebound (n = 19; age = 40.21 + 1.57) CFS/ME patients. Serum samples were assessed using Bio-Plex Assays for cytokines analyses. Cytokines measured included IL-1ββ, IL-1ra, IL-2, IL-7, IL-10, IL-17, TNF-αα and IFNγγ.

Results
The results found IL-1ββ was significantly reduced in severe CFS/ME compared to moderate patients (p = 0.002). IL-7 was significantly increased in the severe group compared to controls and moderate CFS/ME (p = 0.000, 0.000 respectively). IFN-γγ was also increased in severe CFS/ME compared to moderate CFS/ME (p = 0.025).

Conclusion
This is the first study to show variations in cytokines in moderate and severe CFS/ME patients with all significant differences being between CFS/ME severity groups. This study supports the notion that it seems necessary for CFS/ME patient severity subgroups to be classified and identified in both research and clinical settings.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1043466614002919