• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Seroprevalence of XMRV in normal and retrovirus-infected blood donors

Jemal

Transfusion. 2011 Oct 24. doi: 10.1111/j.1537-2995.2011.03395.x. [Epub ahead of print]
Seroprevalence of xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus in normal and retrovirus-infected blood donors
Qiu X, Swanson P, Tang N, Leckie GW, Devare SG, Schochetman G, Hackett Jr J.
From Infectious Diseases R&D, Abbott Diagnostics, Abbott Park, Illinois; and Abbott Molecular, Inc., Des Plaines, Illinois.

Abstract

BACKGROUND: Xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus (XMRV) has been reported in patients with prostate cancer and chronic fatigue syndrome. Although results have been conflicting, the potential of XMRV as an infectious human retrovirus has raised concerns about transfusion safety. To address this issue, normal and retrovirus-infected blood donors were screened for evidence of XMRV infection.

STUDY DESIGN AND METHODS: Plasma from 1000 US, 100 human immunodeficiency virus Type 1-infected Cameroonian, and 642 human T-lymphotropic virus Type I (HTLV-I)-infected or uninfected Japanese blood donors as well as 311 sexually transmitted disease diagnostic specimens were screened for antibodies to XMRV gp70 and p15E using chemiluminescent immunoassays (CMIAs). CMIA-reactive samples were evaluated by p30 CMIA, Western blot, and real-time reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction.

RESULTS: XMRV seroreactivity was low (0%-0.6%) with the exception of the HTLV-I-infected donors (4.9%). Antibody was detected against only a single XMRV protein (p15E or gp70); none of the seroreactive samples had detectable XMRV pol or env sequences. The elevated seroreactivity in HTLV-I-infected donors was due to an increased p15E seroreactive rate (4.1%). Inspection of XMRV and HTLV sequences revealed a high level of conservation within the immunodominant region (IDR) of the transmembrane protein. In some cases, HTLV IDR peptide competitively reduced the XMRV p15E signal.

CONCLUSIONS: Based on the low prevalence of seroreactivity, detection of antibody to only a single XMRV protein and the absence of XMRV sequences, this study finds no compelling evidence of XMRV in normal or retrovirus-infected blood donors. The increased p15E seroreactivity observed in HTLV infection is likely due to cross-reactive antibodies.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22023235

This is not the same study as the 10.000 blood donors American Red Cross study I think?

Deatheye

Hmm p15e seroactivity is likely due to cross reactie antibodies. Likely?...
The detected antibody is also cross reactive?