• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Self submitted to hospital for depression?

PokerPlayer

So, I recently went through a pretty hard event on my body that caused me to get severely depressed. I am now taking it easy and the depression is going away, thank god, as well as my family for being there.

This brings me to ask a question, if somebody had severe depression with this illness, and they wanted to go to a hospital, what would happen? I ask this because some of us are extremely sensitive to ALL medications. Would they force you to take a med like an ssri? Are they allowed to force you to take medications?

It seems like this is important because if you submit yourself to a hospital and then lose your free will, you could possibly die if given a full dosaged ssri or some other psyche drug when your system is severely sensitive.

alex3619

Hi, it varies hugely PokerPlayer, but maybe I can relate a composite of several stories I have heard - this is a worst case scenario, some places are not nearly this dire. You will be told to take meds. If you refuse you will be considered delusional and they will add antipsychotics. If you are diagnosed with CFS (and they will brush off an ME diagnosis as the same thing) they will try to get you to exercise. If you collapse, you will be ignored. If you can't make it to get food or go to the toilet, you will be ignored. They will not reduce sensory impact - expect noise, light and confusion. Expect little sleep unless they pump you full of even more meds. All in all this is very often a very bad idea unless you have done your research and know the local system is not going to do any of these things. Bye, Alex

PS The preceding is on the presumption you lose your right to refuse treatment. Some places enshrine and protect that right and before they can give you treatments you don't want they might have to go to court. Maybe someone else can comment about Washington Sttate.

dannybex

Sorry to hear about this PokerPlayer. I can relate...it's definitely a difficult dilemma -- and I don't think the hospital route would be ANY fun at all. And in the US, I doubt they would even allow you to be admitted in -- they would treat you as an outpatient, perhaps unless you threatened suicide. Everything is so different from pre-1960 or so, when folks could go to a hospital for exhaustion or 'rest', if doctor approved.

For what it's worth, if you run into this problem in the future -- have you ever tried SAM-e for depression? I can't handle ANY of the antidepressants -- they all make me extremely uncomfortable, literally from head to toe, and also made all symptoms worse, especially weakness.

But SAMe -- within a day or two of taking 200-400mgs a day, (in the past sometimes more), I feel much more hopeful, sometimes (at least in the past) even giddy, in a weird sort of way. It can cause agitation and restlessness in some folks, but that doesn't happen w/me, and I have a lot of problems in that regard due to adrenal burnout.

It might be worth a try...?

Dan

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
I may be wrong, but it seems like it is much harder to have someone involuntarily committed (or forced to take medication) in the United States then it is in the U.K. It is done as a very last resort. I went six years without any pain meds because I could not find a doctor who knew what was going on with me and, when I finally did find one, they wouldn't treat the pain. So, I ended up in a hospital because I was thinking suicidal thoughts. I was told that it was up to me whether I wanted to stay or go. They could not force me. The nurses were nice but the doctor was an asshole who first thing started lecturing me on Fibromyalgia, CFS, blah blah blah. They are not real illness...... It's minor aces and pains from depression, blah blah.... I left. I was told I could, so I did. Right after that, luckily, I found a doctor who would treat me.

If you ever feel like you are suicidal, go to Valley Medical in Kent/Renton Washington or Harborview Medical in Seattle and let them know what is going on. Tell them what you are afraid might happen to you if you check in. If you get any bad vibes from the doctors etc leave before you are admitted.

Have you seen this here: http://biomedicalmecfs.blogspot.com/2011/02/cheaper-than-chimpanzees-experimenting.html

Scary--Very Scary. I hope it doesn't get this way in the U.S.

SOC

I agree with Mya. It is not easy to involuntarily commit someone and even harder to forcibly medicate them in the US. Heck, we even have a difficult time forcibly medicating homicidal schizophrenics so they can stand trial.

In the US, as I understand it, you can voluntarily enter the hospital and voluntarily leave -- and you have the right to refuse medication. If you want to play it safe, stick to talking about severe depression and avoid anything that would suggest you are a danger to yourself or others, such as suicidal or homicidal thoughts. As I recall from the days we had a suicidal exchange student in the house (don't ask), you can only be involuntarily committed if you are deemed to be an immediate danger to yourself or others -- meaning you're pointing a gun or have taken the pills, etc. That may vary from state to state, though, so be cautious.

I'd also avoid mentioning anything about ME, CFS, ME/CFS or anything in that category if you don't want the docs and nurses to be a pain in the patootie about it (as Mya experienced) Stick to "I'm really, really depressed and I don't know why." ;)

You might talk to your PCP about what to expect with a voluntary admission and what your rights are before agreeing to enter the hospital. It can be a relief to be in the hospital with people trying to help you as long as they're not pushing meds you don't want to take. Expect to get some talk therapy, of course. If you don't want any treatment, they might not want to admit you. :D

Valentijn

My ex-step aunt was involuntarily committed to Western State Hospital in Lakewood after repeated suicide attempts, but didn't have much trouble getting released even though she was clearly still experiencing severe psychiatric issues. I think she threatened a lawsuit, which may have helped.

Tia

I've been taking Zoloft since 1998 and I'm fine but then again I can take any medication..Only thing Ive noticed is musle jerks when falling asleep lately..

hurtingallthetimet

i dont have an answer to your question but just wanted you to know your not alone..i have severe depression, social anxietys painic attacks and phobias...it was suggested to me i go into inpatient treatment...i rarely get out of house..and when i do i always have anxiety and end up upset....i cant afford the inpatient treatment though but i think it may have helped
hope you are doing better