• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Searching for any insight for these 2 detox NAT2 SNP's

jason30

Hi all,

I have run the 23andme data through the Sterling's app of MTHFR support.
A lot to study, but for now I want to focus on 2 SNP's:
(a part of liver detox phase 2)

NAT2 is found predominantly in the liver and the gut and is used in the Phase II acetylation of numerous environmental toxins, including heterocyclic aromatic amines. Slow acetylators do not clear toxins well and the resulting increased total toxic burden can increase the risk of lung, colon, breast, bladder, and head and neck cancers, though results have not been consistent in all studies. Urinary bladder cancer appears to have the most consistent association with slow acetylation.

Association Between NAT2 Polymorphisms and Lung Cancer Susceptibility
In terms of genotypes, overall, no obvious relationship was observed between NAT2 polymorphisms and lung cancer risk. But increased risk of lung cancer was found in association with NAT2 C282T polymorphism (TT vs. CC + TC: OR = 1.58, 95% CI = 1.11–2.25).
Source research: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5008471/

Well, that's me. I can't detox properly and I have severe MCS since a few years.

I wonder if there is something I can do about this slow acetylation?

Thanks for any help/insight.

alicec

Slow or fast acetylation is not determined by any one SNP in NAT2 but by combinations of SNPs.

Here is a list of various combinations and their resultant phenotype.

Here is a program which predicts your status based on up to 6 positions in the gene. You list only two positions but it turns out those two together are good predictors of status. You are indeed a slow acetylator, assuming that the +/+ designation by MTHFRsupport correctly identifies the minor allele (I would check that if I were you).

Please note the position referred to in the predictor program is the nucleotide position. Your reported results show the nucleotide position (282) for the second SNP but the first SNP shows the amino acid position in the protein coded for by the gene (position 197). You need to look at the SNPaedia entry to see that the nucleotide position for the change is 590.

I just clicked on the minor allele (+/+) at each position to see that you are predicted to be a slow acetylator at a high rate of confidence.

Being a slow acetylator is not unusual. In some ethnic groups, most people are slow acetylators. Generally, more than 50% of people of European and African origin are slow acetylators.

There does seem to be a small increase in cancer risk associated with this phenotype, but it is very small.

It is easy enough to check for medications which are metabolised by NAT2 and be aware that you may need reduced doses of such medications.

I am not aware of any links between MCS and slow acetylation.

jason30

Thanks again @alicec

NAT2 R197Q +/+ homozygous Allele: AA
NAT2 C282T +/+ homozygous Alleles: TT

The TT alleles for c282t is slow on; http://www.mayomedicallaboratories.com/test-catalog/Clinical and Interpretive/83389

Well, I get very sick of chemicals There is poor clearing of toxins and buildup of toxins in the body and that is a precursor of cancer IMO?

Apart from doing detox and binders, I wonder if there are things which can be adjusted regarding the NAT2 mutation.
From what I have read only avoidance is adviced and can be done (such as no smoking).
Vegetables for increasing acetylation

Last edited: