• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

scratching with b12

Hi,

Got my friend on the B12 and she has reported feeling the need to scratch.

Her current regime consists of the following (most of the below was being taken before the B12) ;

• Swanson Ultra Methylcobalamin B12 x 1 tablet
  • Biocare B Plex Vegetable x 1 tablet
  • Solgar - Folate (Metafolin)800 Mcg x 1 tablet - is she taking enough in relation to the b12?
  • Coconut oil x 2 tea spoons
  • Saw palmetto x 1 tablet
  • Glucosamine x 1 tablet
  • Co q10 x 1 tablet
  • magnesium x 2 tablet
  • Calcium x 1 tablet
  • Higher Nature Supergest x 1 tablet
  • Vitamin C x 2 tablets

These are not taken all together but throughout the day.

She has also reported acne coming up, when she started on the b12.

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the acne and the scratching sensation?

Thanks Richard

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Maybe it's that particular B 12 she is taking. Has she stopped it to see if the itching goes away? And then restart and it comes back? If so then maybe try a different kind.

PeterPositive

I'm new to methylation but i do know that B12 can cause histamine issues - thus the itchy feeling.
That's correct.

@richarduklon
From the opening post it seems like your friend just started B12 recently... if this is the case, starting immediately with a 5mg Methyl-B12 could be too much. Many people here, myself included, have or have had issues starting a B12/methylation protocol. Sometimes it takes a while to adjust to the dosages and it's usually best to begin with a small-ish dose (250-1000mcg) and slowly build it up.

Thanks for the advice. I did ask her to take it easy and did a schedule of go low and slow, but she wanted to take it as it was. She started on a brand of b12 at 1mg and she said it don't do much, so I got the 5mg for her. I did mention to break it in half...

I report back to her and try and find out bit more detail when I next talk to her. Might be a little while and will revisit this thread gain.

Thanks once again