• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Scottish Government Accused of Undermining Role of Parents

Roy S

former DC ME/CFS lobbyist
"Scottish Government Accused of Undermining Role of Parents"

The Telegraph June 19, 2000

"The Scottish Government has been accused of setting out to "fundamentally undermine" the role of Scotland’s parents by appointing a state guardian for every child under 18."

"Lesley Scott, who represents the Tymes Trust, a charity supporting families with children suffering from ME, said the plan was "empowering state employees to police the happiness of Scotland’s children, according to state definitions of what that should be"."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...t-accused-of-undermining-role-of-parents.html

thanks to Jane Colby for tweeting this
https://mobile.twitter.com/JaneCColby

snowathlete

I've been following this for some time now. I am very much against it. Every child, not just those deemed to be at particular need (which can be challenged if necessary) will have a state chosen person involved in their lives and the decisions that affect their lives. I see this as state interference, and entirely against parental rights - and the child's rights; a normal, private family life.

It is a major change which does away with parental autonomy and creates an issue over who the child belongs to. I do not believe children should be owned by the state, with the exception of where the child is without family or in neglect. And the govt do an awful job as it is with these children it is already responsible for.

This will not stop in Scotland either. If it is rolled out there then I am certain it will be adopted in the rest of the UK; it's just a matter of time.