• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Scotland: ME is like the worst flu you can imagine

Firestormm

Evening Times
1st August 2013

ME is like the worst flu you can imagine

A SCOTTISH actress who has spent most of her life battling ME will speak about the condition at the screening of a documentary in Glasgow.

Burnistoun and River City star Kirsty Strain said more needs to be done to raise awareness of the illness, myalgic encephalomyelitis, which many in the medical profession still treat as a psychological problem.

Voices from the Shadows, showing at Cineworld, in Glasgow, was made out of desperation by the mother and brother of a chronic ME sufferer.

It talks to patients, carers and doctors about a medical complaint that is still largely misunderstood.

Kirsty, who attended Baillieston's Bannerman High School before enrolling at Langside College, said: "The film is the closest we've got to articulating what it's like to live with ME and the impact of it.

"It goes a long way towards educating people who don't know much about it and offers support to those who are going through it."

The 32-year-old said it is still difficult to get a diagnosis of ME as many GPs do not have enough knowledge of the condition.

She said: "The fact we still have this debate of physical versus psychological is causing more harm.

"The World Health Organisation recognises ME as a physical condition, but the condition has psychological implications because it is so isolating and difficult to manage.

Read more...

First posted by the ME Association.