• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Scientist Tackles 'Last Major Disease We Don’t Know Anything About'

Kyla

ᴀɴɴɪᴇ ɢꜱᴀᴍᴩᴇʟ
http://www.newser.com/story/214006/...ajor-disease-we-dont-know-anything-about.html

The comment section on this is horrendous so far, so if anyone feels up to commenting it would be helpful

Excerpt:
Scientist Tackles 'Last Major Disease We Don’t Know Anything About'
WHITNEY DAFOE NO LONGER WALKS, TALKS, OR EATS, AND IS FED INTRAVENOUSLY

By Elizabeth Armstrong Moore, Newser Staff

(NEWSER) – Whitney Dafoe packed a lot in his first quarter-century of life. The son of renowned scientist Ronald Davis, the head of the Genome Technology Center at Stanford University, was an award-winning photographer who traveled the world and worked on Obama’s 2008 campaign. Now 31 and diagnosed with systemic exertion intolerance disease, aka chronic fatigue syndrome, he no longer walks, talks, or eats—instead sustained by a feeding tube, reports the Washington Post. Davis, who is 74, hopes to tap Stanford's technology to study the disease, which some still don't take seriously, in unprecedented detail. Denied funding by the NIH, he's recruited three Nobel laureates and raised more than $1 million for his project, while patients themselves are running crowdfunding campaigns to help this and other studies, reports the Atlantic...

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Just had a quick look and it seems to be Trollsville so I'll repeat my usual advice on using the opportunity to comment on online articles to put across our own agenda and to not feed the trolls! Just ignore them and their comments will sink down the list where no-one will see them.

It would be a particularly good idea to give the donation link for the END ME/CFS project, if it wasn't given in the article.

http://phoenixrising.me/how-to-comment-on-online-news-stories

I'm off to bed now!

Valentijn

New replies to existing comments on Disqus doesn't raise them under any of the sorting options.

snowathlete

I find it very arrogant that the medical profession thinks this is the last major disease they don't know anything about. Pity the poor patients that come along with the next unknown/misunderstood disease.
I think they are simply drawing attention to the fact that there probably isn't another disease so debilitating and so prevalent that we know so little about. Other diseases that meet both these criteria have already been studied a fair bit - not enough in some cases, but significantly more than MECFS. It is uncharted territory, yet it is a massive piece of the globe that can be explored. If you are a young scientist who wants to research something new, large, serious, this is the last major disease.

He's generating interest and support and we sorely need that. If a new disease as serious and prevalent emerges I doubt it will find itself is as difficult a situation as we are in. If they do then they'll need to say something compelling like this.