• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Scientific Antifungal Treatment: Looking for information

Waverunner

Waverunner, you are right about these sites blaming candida for everything and peddling "cures" for it - but they would have no platform whatsoever if more conventional doctors would finally recognized the fact that some patients (and not just heavily immunocompromised ones) do have problems with candida overgrowth and treat then accordingly. The same goes for the importance of elevated IGG viral titers :)

I completely agree.

stp

Thank you for all the replies.

Sing: Yes the SD has spread to my hair line also and my face gets flaky, itchy, red/blotchy in the areas that are affected. I've done a lot of research on acne forums on how to control it but have had little success. It seems to have a mind of it's own and is probably much harder to control in someone with ME/CFS. This summer I tried a very restricted diet which didn't do much for my skin issues even though I lost 20lbs and felt more healthy. I've tried topical tea tree oil, organic apple cider vinegar, cortaid and none of them do anything worth noting. I've also tried shampoos with zinc and salicylic acid which don't seem touch it either. The one thing I'm convinced has helped is TOA-free Cat's Claw or Una de Gato bark liquid . It's supposedly anti-viral, anti-funal and boosts the immune system. It helped with my brain fog and improved my SD a bit but doesn't totally cure it. That said, it did reduce redness and some of the itching that goes along with SD. I'd recommend giving it a try for anyone with ME/CFS, not just those with fungal issues.

I guess the worst part about all of this is I don't have a doctor who has a clue what he's dealing with in CFS. I'm educating him about most of my issues and he is of the mindset that if he can't test for it, it isn't real. So I'm trying to get an appointment with a Urologist in hopes of actually getting someone to prescribe me Nystatin or Diflucan to clear these distressing issues I have going on. It is so frustrating and makes me want to give up. I just want this problem fixed before it balloons into something far more serious like a fungal sepsis.

Eucalypta

Systemic Fungal infection naturo and homeo treatment

This is going to be a long post, there is little information about fungal infections and ME and because I'm going through a really horrible Systemic Infection at the moment I hope that someone else can be helped with this as well. The original poster asked for scientific information on treatments, unfortunately Homeopathy and Naturopathy is not being considered scientific but I hope you will find it informational anyhow.

I'm very ill at the moment. 3 weeks ago I felt what I thought was the start of a vaginal yeast infection. I thought I was being smart by sending husband off to the store to fetch me Monistat3 and nip the in the butt(pun intended ;-)) Monistat3 for the gentlemen who do not know, is a anti-fungal treatment of 3 days and nights. At night one is to insert a suppository in the vagina and during the day one uses cream. The suppositories at night are because it becomes fluid and it will leak. Monistat or a generic is miconazole nitrate.

It was evening and I was pondering if I should take the suppository and call it a night or the cream and the suppository later. I choose the cream, thank God. The moment I applied the cream I felt like a torch was burning me up. I ran(well kind off) through the room screaming and crying. It burned and hurt so much I thought I was going insane and was close to passing out. Within minutes my whole vaginal area was swollen shut and twice the size. I had an allergic reaction to the Monistat. I tried to wash it off as much as possible but it was too late. Going online to see if I could find anything and I was shocked to find thousands of women having the same reaction, posting on a web site to get Monistat 3 and 1(is even stronger) off the shelves. The ladies who took the suppositories first had the worst trouble because in seconds everything swells up and no way that it is possible to remove the suppository. Most of them had months after this still damage and a very painful area. For me things went not so well, it was weekend and I could not reach my physician. ER or Urgent Care can not help you other than to tell you to take some Benedryl.

When Monday rolled around the fungal made it's way up to my ears, my nose my mouth and throat was full of blisters and my sides were starting to hurt, I started to breath with strange noises and breathing hurt. By than I knew I was probably in for pneumonia. My dr., bless him, made a home visit to care for me because I was home alone. I had a full blown fungal pneumonia and my localized yeast infection had become a Sytemic Fungal infection, very dangerous for people with compromised immune sytems like HIV people and like myself.

I am medication sensitive, and every western medication I take causes me cardiac problems, I have Tachycardia, Myocarditis and Cardiomyopathy. So fluconazole was out of the question for me. I tried Nystatin and immediately vomited it back up. My physician is a Homeopath and a Naturopath and we put together a protocol that suited me of homeopathic remedies and supplements. He gave me 3 days to turn this thing around or I would have to be admitted to the hospital. Not that they can do anything for me at the hospital but I understood his problem. Naturopath have no visiting rights and can not act as your physician, although they do have prescribing rights in Oregon. I had very high fever which was a good thing, at least a sign that something in my body was fighting it. it was touch and go for 2 days in which I really thought I wasn't going to make it but in the night of the second day I felt a shift in things and I have been on my way to recovery ever since. This was 10 days ago.

There are moments in the day that my tongue starts to get white again or that my eyes start to hurt again and it feels like the fungal is coming back but that is not the case, it is the die-off. While the fungal stuff was going on I also had a killer headache that overwhelmed me. We treated that the first day with about 30 trigger point injections with procaine and B12. I was numb from ears down ;-) It felt wonderful, the headache was gone immediately, however it came back in full force in 2 hours. So we did it again the next day only this time the trigger point injections a bit higher up my skull. We also used the acupuncture access points to inject in the fold of the elbow and the fleshy part between the thumb and finger. Always a painful nasty point to inject. This time the headache stayed away and I could concentrate on getting well. My husband stayed home to be my caregiver and made sure I got my medication in time, gave me sponge baths. I'm still a long way from baseline but I'm not in danger anymore. I know there are people who do not believe in homeopathy but for you who do, it saved my life, I will list below what I take to get rid of this fungal.

First of all I eat as much sugar free and as few carbs as possible as yeast feasts on sugar. For me this is no problem as I still can not chew and have a few blisters in my throat, so plain yogurt in the morning and soup for lunch and dinner.

I was already injecting B12 and Glutathione once a day and upped that to 3 x a day. Need all the detox help you can get.

While waiting for my dr. to do the home visit I took up to 1000mg VitC. every waking our of the day, until your bowels can not take anymore. I use C.Salts which dissolve in a glass of water into a lovely bubbly lemony drink and I had to drink anyway.

For the pneumonia I took steam baths, a bowl with hot water and a few drops Eucalyptus oil. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/700.html I also used it in an oil burner.
A entry on Livestrong web site has this info about Eucalyptus:
Several eucalyptus species are useful in treating fungal infections. Eucalyptus leaves contain potent essential oils with antifungal ingredients such as 1,8-cineole, p-cymene and carvone. A study in the 2004 issue of Letters in Applied Microbiology found that leaf extracts of spotted gum (Eucalyptus maculata), blue gum (Eucalyptus globulus) and white gum (Eucalyptus viminalis) effectively inhibited the growth of Trichophyton mentagrophytes, a fungus that causes hair, skin, and nail infections.

"Letters in Applied Microbiology"; Antimicrobial activities of eucalyptus leaf extracts and flavonoids from Eucalyptus maculata; Takahashi T, Kokubo R, Sakaino M; May 2004

These are the meds/supplements that help me at the moment.

Nystatin - 500.000 units 10x 1 tab
candida clear - 3x 2 tabs (Now brand - contains: Magnesium, Pau D'Arco, Oregano Oil, Black Walnut & Caprylic Acid)
magnesium caps - 1x 400mg (1 tab) - 2x 200mg (1/2 tab)
elderberry extract - 3x 1 tab
oregano oil - 3x 1 tab (this is a very important one! Google Oregano Oil and Systemic Yeast)
E-400- 3x 1 tab
good garlic - 3x 1 tab (raw garlic concentrate 600 mg)
Klaire Labs Pro-biotics detoxification support 2x 1 tabs (Blend of 50+ Billions CFU's)

Homeopathy tabs:
heel - bronchitus - 3x 1 tab
gripp-heel - 3x 1 tab
SanPharma Subtilis - 3x / wk 1 tab (tue, thu, sat)

Homeopathy Remedy:
PCHF - immune system stimulator - 3x 2 pipettes
PCHF - mycotoxin - 3x 2 pipettes
Pekana - opsonat - 3x 20 drops
Pekana - apo-Infekt - 3x 20 drops
SanPharma - roqueforti - 3x 10 drops (Penicillium roqueforti helps restore gastrointestinal tract symbiosis cases of dysbacteria. This remedy is also effective for treating helicobacter pylori, enteritis, gastritis, colitis, stomach ulcers and inflammation of the mucous membranes.)

SanPharma - suppositories: Candida - 2x 1 supp

coconut oil: 3x (or more)1 tablespoon
Coconut oil/butter has been a miracle cure for me. My physician being from South Africa used to work in clinics with less fancy medication as we have, told me that in Nigeria research was done about the effectiveness of Coconut butter on fungal infections and that sometimes major improvements were seen in just taking this simple remedy. I must say I was skeptical, but having a mouth full of blisters makes you a believer pretty fast. I took one tablespoon of coconut butter and it wasn't half as bad as I thought it would be, and just let it melt in my mouth, swishing it around a bit. After an hour I felt relief, my tongue was gross white with thick(I know too much information right? ;-)) nasty stuff and that started to disappear. Within 2 days my tongue had the normal color again and my blisters and starting to disappear as well. it's wonderful stuff. Here is more info on it:http://www.livestrong.com/article/287495-coconut-oil-benefits-for-fungus-yeast-infections/

We also found a way to have me take Nystatin. I break up the tablets and suck on them until they are gone. I take up to 10 a day. My body seems to tolerate the small amounts. I can't taste them anyway so this was a good possibility.
This is all. I drink lots and lots to help me detox.

It is a long posting but I hope it will help someone else with these horrible fungals that can easily kill you.

For the ladies amongst us, I can post what I used topical to heal from the vaginal yeast infection. Just say the word and I'm happy to post it. Or if the men would like to know so they can heal from a fungal infection in that area as well, I'll be happy to post the info.

m1she11e

I had a client just today that has had severe cystic acne for about 5 years and been on every topical and oral drug with no success. The theory behind acne is that it a combination of bacteria (p.acne bacteria) and inflammation. This girls Grandma lives in the Middle East and sent her something (she is supposed to get back with me and she says it is something you can buy easily here. It a RX in the middle east and commonly prescribed to treat fungal infections. Probably nothing new to any of us?? Anyway, after about 3 months her cystic acne has cleared up. This got me researching anti fungals from the Middle East. Again, I am still waiting to get the name of whatever this girl is using, this link is something I just found on my own...

http://biomedme.com/general/new-improved-anti-fungal-compounds-in-the-pipeline_4600.html