• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

salmonella before cfs/me

jimmy86

Did anyone have a salmonella infection prior to CFS/ME?

I remember that I had one 2 years before. It was treated with abx, but I got IBS afterwards. Then CFS with gut problems.

Does anyone have a lingering salmonella infection? Did you treat it? Did it help?

Valentijn

There are genetic mutations which can result in alterations to various parts of the Complement portion of the innate immune system. Some result in over-active responses, and some result in deficiencies where specific infections are not cleared. Mutations in one of those genes, FCN3, is known to specifically result in difficulty mounting a response to at least a couple Salmonella variants.

Do you know for sure that it was a Salmonella infection?

jimmy86

There are genetic mutations which can result in alterations to various parts of the Complement portion of the innate immune system. Some result in over-active responses, and some result in deficiencies where specific infections are not cleared. Mutations in one of those genes, FCN3, is known to specifically result in difficulty mounting a response to at least a couple Salmonella variants.

Do you know for sure that it was a Salmonella infection?

That is interesting.
Yes, I am sure that it was salmonella because I got tested several times while having this infection.

Do you have any reference article? Is it possible to test mutations in FCN3?

Rvanson

Did anyone have a salmonella infection prior to CFS/ME?

I remember that I had one 2 years before. It was treated with abx, but I got IBS afterwards. Then CFS with gut problems.

Does anyone have a lingering salmonella infection? Did you treat it? Did it help?

Rvanson

I believe I became I'll with ME shortly after a teriaki chicken dinner. Thought I was going to die. No proof since by the time I was well enough to see a doctor it would have been gone but symptoms fit samonella poisoning.

Forbin

I started a thread that went into this general idea, i.e. the significance of a food poisoning event preceding ME by as much as a couple years.

A reasonable objection is that food poisoning is common enough that linking a relatively remote case to the onset of ME would be hard to prove. On the other hand, I think that there's a difference between "common" food poisoning, which may last a couple of hours, and food poisoning which lasts days and may send you to the ER.

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...-permanently-altered-by-food-poisoning.47886/