• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

SAIC & NIH to develop XMRV Toolkit

George

waitin' fer rabbits
Frank you're always there when we need ya! Thanks

Cort I think you are 100% right the tipping point has happened behind the scenes. The Alter paper was a bit of delay tactic I think.

Daffodil

i think it is very telling that VIP Dx had a test for the MLV viruses from the Lo/Alter paper right after it was published. there is definitely a lot going on behind the scenes.

i hope that in a few weeks, there might be a paper telling us which drugs to take depending on which strain we have. unfortunately, i think we will need a new protease inhibitor.

its so strange how everything is so tightly controlled by the powers that be. i would bet some people are a little scared....if we were all to start getting well, imagine the protests and even riots that could occur.

Gemini

To me its just more good news that the Feds are putting resources into this and believe its real...

I agree!

When anyone cites the emerging chronic fatigue syndrome market
including the government, we know we're really on the right track! :)

Gemini

pictureofhealth

XMRV - L'Agent du Jour
We've had such a depressing time in the UK on the lack of media coverage of the Alter story (in only one online version of one newspaper, nowhere else at all) and I've been wondering what it would take - what kind of more definitive proof of potential MLV/CFS causality - for this to start being covered in our media and taken seriously by our government and health service.

I think you're right - that there's a lot going on behind the scenes that isn't being announced publicly at the instant it happens because scientists need to be in control of when and how they release the information. I'm hoping that we'll hear a lot more about progress at the upcoming Sept 6/7 XMRV conference.

God, I hope so! I have felt as though I have been living in an episode of "The Prisoner" in the UK since Monday's news. :(

Please say something to cheer me up, somebody! :worried:

Hi Sasha,

Check out the breaking news from today re UK Blood Donations, on the General ME/CFS News thread. The ME Association received a letter from the DoH confirming that all past and present ME/CFS patients are exempt - that sounds like a HUGE about turn to me.

Hopefully that is a small bit of good news from the UK.

I'm also hoping that a lot more will come out of the September Conference. Dr Mikovits really seems to have got her 'smarts' in order, as we say in the UK! (ie She is one clever cookie.)

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Thanks, pictureofhealth - you're right, that is good news about the blood ban (I even posted on that thread and promptly forgot that bit of good news! where's my brain!).

Starting to feel better! :Retro smile:

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I agree!

When anyone starts looking at ME/CFS as a market
including the government, we're really on the right track! :)

Gemini

Bloomberg's (the big news agency) led their article about the Alder paper by stating who manufactures the ARV drugs that are the leading contenders agains MLVs. I remember someone on another thread a while back saying they were looking forward to being exploited! Yes, let's be a market - one way to get noticed!

shannah

Thanks, pictureofhealth - you're right, that is good news about the blood ban (I even posted on that thread and promptly forgot that bit of good news! where's my brain!).

Starting to feel better! :Retro smile:

Also isn't Judy supposed to be releasing the results of the first part of the UK study at the upcoming conference in a couple of weeks? That should shake things up more!

(I know exactly what you mean about the short almost non-existent short term memory thing. Maybe now they know it's a retrovirus they'll stop calling it that trifling name 'brain fog' and refer more to it as dementia like they do in HIV/AIDS!)

Forebearance

I love the NCI!

I wonder if we may be benefitting, in a way, from the public health alertness that was caused by the avian flu and the swine flu. It sounds like this company SAIC was just waiting for the next public health crisis to come along and is ready to pounce on it. Thank goodness!

pictureofhealth

XMRV - L'Agent du Jour
Military Veterans Site re SAIC involvement in XMRV

The attached link to a Military Veterans Site re the SAIC's involvement in XMRV research, seems to indicate to them that something sinister is afoot.

Either that, or SAIC are simply the best people to call if an organisation needs to develop health/military assisting technologies in a hurry!

http://www.veteranstoday.com/2010/0...s-xmrv-and-saic-been-involved/?forumid=331851

Rrrr

it seems very strange to me to have a military contractor making this xmrv tool kit.

here are the inventors of the xmrv tool kit (as found listed in this article: http://www.veteranstoday.com/2010/08...forumid=331851) and their titles, as found listed at the NCI's dept called Advanced Technology Program (ATP)., http://web.ncifcrf.gov/atp/default.asp?page=contacts&LabID=12

Dominic Esposito (SAIC) (Cloning and Expression Optimization Head at ATP)
Alan Rein (NCI):what i found for him is his bio on NCI: http://home.ncifcrf.gov/hivdrp/Rein.html
Stuart Le Grice (NCI): his bio at NCI: http://home.ncifcrf.gov/hivdrp/Le_Grice.html
James Hartley (SAIC) (Laboratory Director at ATP)
William Gillette (SAIC) (Protein Purification Head at ATP)
Ralph Hopkins III (SAIC): found a few cancer, herpes, and other papers with his name on them. that is all i can find on him.
Troy Taylor (SAIC) (Microbial Fermentation Head at ATP)

i think we should do some reasearch into each of these men.

Rrrr

i remember a while back dr. coffin told me that the "protein expression lab" out of the NCI was working hard on an assay for XMRV, and it was due out soon.

i think the protein expression lab was able to do this work a long time ago (months ago) but waited until this alter/lo paper came out, and then went public with this "tool kit"

like someone wrote (was it cort?), i think a lot is happening behind the scenes that we know nothing about! and much of it was done before the alter/lo paper came out, and now that the paper is out all this stuff can finally become public.

i don't like that a military contractor is involved in this, but i do like the fact that i think a lot has happened behind the scenes.

it looks to me, from looking at the bios and titles of these above listed men, that the worlds of cancer and retrovirology are ignited -- on fire -- with this new discovery of a retrovirus that could cause cancer (prostate, leukemia).

and i think that they think it could cause a lot more illnesses too.

muffin

SAIC is not just a defense contractor

SAIC does a lot more of everything than just defense. Defense is probably their bread and butter but I do know that they are involved in many other areas. Don't freak when you see a company that does defense analysis, etc. that is also involved in other government projects. That is pretty normal in Washington and around the Beltway. Contracting firms know the really big money comes out of Department of Defense (DoD) and Homeland Security and so that's where they go. But, they also try like crazy to get into other areas in government (Federal,state, local) and many other areas like economic develpment, health, etc. Just the way it works in Washington (surrounding MD/VA area).

SAIC is a huge company with very smart, highly educated people. They love their PhD there. I would not worry about SAIC involvement. That to me is good news.