• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

safety with starting a new diet

Ambrosia_angel

I just started a candida diet as I strongly think there's a correlation in the time I got cfs to the time I got reoccurring candida Infections.

I'm just worried that being on such a low carb diet will cause me to loose to much weight and make my energy levels low. I've cut out all carbs and have been eating millet along with proteins and veg. I just don't want to get to a point where my blood sugars become really low. I'm also not eating fruits. I'm also eating stevia and a sugar substitute.

I'm just slightly worried

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I used this diet and it worked great for me. You're allowed breads and potatoes, and stuff you wouldn't think you can eat. They just have to be cooked a certain way. With this you won't have to worry about weight loss. I did have a problem with constipation.

http://candidarecovery.com/diet.htm

Ambrosia_angel

Well I actually don't eat bread anyway. Only a whole wheat pita every now and then. Once a week if that. And because I'm in the beginning stages of my diet I'm avoiding starchy foods like potatoes which I'll introduce after. I'm just wondering if quinoa and millet are substantial sources of carbs. To make sure my blood sugars don't fall too low. I'm eating it instead of rice.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Well I actually don't eat bread anyway. Only a whole wheat pita every now and then. Once a week if that. And because I'm in the beginning stages of my diet I'm avoiding starchy foods like potatoes which I'll introduce after. I'm just wondering if quinoa and millet are substantial sources of carbs. To make sure my blood sugars don't fall too low. I'm eating it instead of rice.

I think it should be fine. You may experience less energy due to not having the 'false energy' that we tend to have which seems to be due to adrenaline. I don't see this as a bad thing, as it makes us less likely to over-exert ourselves and suffer the short- and long-term consequences of that.

Low-carb diets usually keep blood sugar more stable, preventing the extreme swings that are caused by too much carb. The upward swings pose a risk of insulin resistance, so are best avoided.

I feel much better on low-carb, although I don't think I have candida but a different gut dysbiosis (which I think I have largely corrected now.)

You might get a die-off reaction which could make you feel lousy for a while.

You may find that avoiding gluten helps too - many of us do.

Last edited:

helen1

Low carb, paleo type diet got rid of my hypoglycemia within 2 months. I think there's only benefits to losing gluten for sure.

Ambrosia_angel

I think it should be fine. You may experience less energy due to not having the 'false energy' that we tend to have which seems to be due to adrenaline. I don't see this as a bad thing, as it makes us less likely to over-exert ourselves and suffer the short- and long-term consequences of that.

Low-carb diets usually keep blood sugar more stable, preventing the extreme swings that are caused by too much carb. The upward swings pose a risk of insulin resistance, so are best avoided.

I feel much better on low-carb, although I don't think I have candida but a different gut dysbiosis (which I think I have largely corrected now.)

You might get a diet-off reaction which could make you feel lousy for a while.

You may find that avoiding gluten helps too - many of us do.

Thank you. I'm trying to prepare myself for the candida die off. I felt quite ill this morning but I'm trying to avoid any phsycological symptoms because I'm expecting It...
I'm thinking of adding Brown rice as well because that's a complex carbohydrate. Which is slow realising.