• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Rough dosage and costs for Valcyte, Valtrex, Famvir

snowathlete

Hi all,

I am presenting some options to my family this weekend as they want to talk about how they might be able to help me try a treatment. This is one of the main options.

I need to give a rough idea of dose, cost for each of these drugs. I know it depends on many factors, but i need to start somewhere.

Valtrex - 4000mg a day - 120 a month from India. ? a month on Private prescription.

Valcyte - ?mg a day - ? a month from india. ? a month on Private prescription.

Famvir - 1000mg a day - 100 a month from india. ? a month on Private prescription.

Can you help me fill in the blanks?

Thanks
Joel

Ema

My doctor and I settled on a starting dose of Valcyte at 900 mg twice a day. It comes here in 450 mg tablets so that is 4 a day. The pricing here in the US would probably not be much help but I think it is around $2000 with no insurance for a 120 tablet supply.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
10 days on Valtrex (branded) in the UK at present 110, think I paid about 180 for a 10 day supply from Breakspear, very expensive but I didn't do well on the generic from India.

snowathlete

10 days on Valtrex (branded) in the UK at present 110, think I paid about 180 for a 10 day supply from Breakspear, very expensive but I didn't do well on the generic from India.

Thanks Mary. What dose is this at?
Presumably the 110 price you mention is at a UK pharmacy, but not the Breakspear one?

Ema - thanks for the info on Valcyte. I think an equivelant amount in the UK would cost about 1500 for the generic form from the internet. Is the price you mentioned in the US for a generic version from a pharmacy?

maryb

iherb code TAK122
That would be 4 x 500mg tablets a day - about 110 from general pharmacies - breakspear were more expensive supplying them via their own pharmacy at the time but they may have come down in price from them now anyway, I don't think they would up the price intentionally.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I use famvir at 250mg twice a day, i order 500mg x 60 tabs for $155, so $77 a month for this. It has taken 2 years to get my lymphocytes down to normal(ebv/cmv) . I buy my av's from magicpharma. Whats holding me back i think is chronic sinus infections which im slowly getting on top off and feeling better and soon will be treating some low hormonal issues that i hope will improve stamina and hopefully exercise recovery and PEM, also hopefully it helps with immune function too. Once i have all this dialled in i hope to be getting close to feeling really good. Im getting signs of feeling better but sinuses seem to be causing relapses.

cheers!!!

I use famvir at 250mg twice a day, i order 500mg x 60 tabs for $155, so $77 a month for this. It has taken 2 years to get my lymphocytes down to normal(ebv/cmv) . I buy my av's from magicpharma. Whats holding me back i think is chronic sinus infections which im slowly getting on top off and feeling better and soon will be treating some low hormonal issues that i hope will improve stamina and hopefully exercise recovery and PEM, also hopefully it helps with immune function too. Once i have all this dialled in i hope to be getting close to feeling really good. Im getting signs of feeling better but sinuses seem to be causing relapses.

cheers!!!

I have terrible sinus issues (and after 2 sinus surgeries!!!) I SWEAR by accupuncture. Have you tried it? It worked better for me than 2 surgeries did!

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I have terrible sinus issues (and after 2 sinus surgeries!!!) I SWEAR by accupuncture. Have you tried it? It worked better for me than 2 surgeries did!

not yet, but having good results with doxycycline, i think it depends on my immune system keeping it down once off antibiotics. I have started doing some light exercise which i havent done in 12 months, so i think im heading down the right path with my sinuses?????? fingers crossed.

cheers!!!

satoshikasumi

Take into consideration that there is a patient assistance program available for Valcyte but not some of the other drugs. I don't know if it applies to non-US patients, though. Usually, the requirements for getting free drug from the drug company are: you need to have a low income, and you need to get a denial of payment from an insurance company or government, appeal the denial, and get denied again. Then, your doctor needs to submit this information to the manufacturer along with a letter of medical necessity.