• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Rod's back! Coverage in The Spectator, 2nd November

Ecoclimber

Yeah, Kinderman is a different fight Coyne's been having :p Different debate too. Coyne's not an ME/CFS guy, and most certainly not exclusively, and he's attacking other aspects of bad psych research.

Yea but the other repsonses indicate otherwise targeting PACE @MEawareness and #MEcfs?

1. @CoyneoftheRealm @BPSOfficial @peterkinderman wish we could afford legal action for global medical neglect(!) #MEcfs
    4 retweets 8 likes
  2. View other replies

maxwhd@maxwhd Oct 31

eafw

https://new.spectator.co.uk/2015/11...ymptom-of-our-stupidity-about-mental-illness/

"The principal British researcher, Professor Simon Wessely at King’s College London’s Institute of Psychiatry, held that ME was almost certainly a psychiatric condition — and that was when the death threats started."

Another one for the archives http://archive.is/2kqPh

"Professor Simon Wessely at King’s College London’s Institute of Psychiatry, held that ME was almost certainly a psychiatric condition"

Anyone on twitter care to ask Wessely if he endorses Liddle's statement here, surely this counts as "harrasment" in Wessely's book ?

I first posted this two days ago, on another thread.

'If journalists are genuinely afraid of ME patients - why do they persist in writing inflammatory articles on ME?

So often (in the UK national press, over decades) an inflammatory article on ME, containing misinformation on the disease and derogatory towards the patients, is followed by a second inflammatory article complaining that ME patients had written to the journalist to correct their misinformation. Its a trick. The journalists get to denigrate and demonise the patients, while the journalists manouver themselves into the role of victim.'

In this instance Liddle paints Prof Wessely as The Great Victim.

Last edited:

Scarecrow

Revolting Peasant
Another one for the archives http://archive.is/2kqPh

"Professor Simon Wessely at King’s College London’s Institute of Psychiatry, held that ME was almost certainly a psychiatric condition"

Anyone on twitter care to ask Wessely if he endorses Liddle's statement here, surely this counts as "harrasment" in Wessely's book ?
Whether he endorses it or not, 'psychiatric' does not mean 'all in the mind'. Even if Liddle thinks so, Wessely does not.

eafw

Whether he endorses it or not, 'psychiatric' does not mean 'all in the mind'. Even if Liddle thinks so, Wessely does not.

ME is not a psychiatric condition. Whatever Wesseley's personal definition of psychiatric, no meaningful serious clinical or even common definition of the term leads us to ME being psychiatric.

Valentijn

ME is not a psychiatric condition. Whatever Wesseley's personal definition of psychiatric, no meaningful serious clinical or even common definition of the term leads us to ME being psychiatric.
Of course it's not psychiatric. Wessely believes it's psychosomatic, and he's clearly wrong. An overwhelming amount of evidence proves he is wrong.

worldbackwards

Has this page been edited to remove some of the original content ? If so, does anyone know where to find the full original ?
No, it was like that to start with. He did expand on his thoughts in a subsequent article, which is knocking about the place somewhere.

BurnA

No, it was like that to start with. He did expand on his thoughts in a subsequent article, which is knocking about the place somewhere.

My suspicion, based upon the evidence I have seen and wrote about in my book "Whining Selfish Monkeys" ...
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

How can anyone take this man seriously? That sounds like a comedy routine.

Yeah, I know some people do, but they're hardly worth arguing with. Some people believe professional wrestling is real wrestling, too. Rational argument is not going to change that kind of mind.

I was looking for the above line but couldn't find it...