• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Rituximab maintenance therapy: a step forward in follicular lymphoma

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I wonder if maintenance can be maintain with antivirals after ritux treatment. AV's have a saver side effect profile from what we know so far??

cheers!!!

anciendaze

I guess it depends on how cfs works. If killing b cells is the trick, then I don't see what the AV would do.
This depends on why killing CD20 B-cells works. These are cells which hold antigens as memory cells for the immune system. In the case of viruses the entire virus may be in there. Holding the virus in check while other B-cells reconstitute normal immune function might be useful.

currer

It is not known how this therapy works for other diseases - so to expect answers in the case of ME is a bit much. Many drugs are used therapeutically without knowing how they work exactly.

They could be killing off the retrovirally infected cells and thus reducing the tissue load. Who knows?

We need more research.

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
From an idealistic point of view, if the phase 3 trial for Rituximab is successful, it is beneficial not necessarily just as a (non-specific) treatment, but also a clue for further research and development of more specific drugs. Responding to Rituximab creates a novel subgroup for study. (and blood can be banked beforehand for later study).

Of course as Currer said, expecting answers in the short term is a bit much.