• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Rifaxamin v BSS v Questran v Clay (Hydrogen Sulfide) Treatments

Hey folks,

I tested 'strongly positive' to a urine test done recently for Hydrogen Sulfide.

My doc recommended Questran. I have read mixed reports about it on here so far. Seems it will either be good or bad depending on the individual - but at least it will do something.

I've also heard of Refaxamin and Bismuth Subsalicylate as possible treatment options for this, but have not spoken about them with my doc.

Is anyone familiar with any of these three?

I'm also aware that clay can absorb some bad guys and the little reading I've done so far suggests it can absorb Hydrogen Sulfide. If so, then perhaps oral clay (calcium bentonite) may be of benefit, but having not done much reading on it yet, this is pure speculation on my part. Anyone have any experience here?

I took the test a few yrs back (same result) and thought it was more of a diagnostic test than something that should/could be treated so my comment is of no use at all ;)

Last edited:

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
@bootsydan

You might need more testing to find out which bacteria are causing this. Different drugs target different classes of bacteria. I had a bacterial overgrowth that did respond well to rifaxamin, but I doubt that all infections would.

Good luck with this,
Sushi

@bootsydan

You might need more testing to find out which bacteria are causing this. Different drugs target different classes of bacteria. I had a bacterial overgrowth that did respond well to rifaxamin, but I doubt that all infections would.

Good luck with this,
Sushi

Interesting Sushi, that makes a lot of sense. My doc said a test for my gut bacteria was necessary and it has been ordered, so perhaps i shouldn't take any drug until after those results have come back. Otherwise I will be relying on luck. Cheers!

I took the test a few yrs back (same result) and thought it was more of a diagnostic test than something that should/could be treated so this comment is of no use at all ;)

There are drugs that can treat it (ones I know of are listed above), and diet/supplementation should be considered in relation to it. Perhaps it is difficult to treat if people don't respond well to the drugs/have other complications etc... but it is a bad problem that needs to be fixed.