• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Richvank - What tests to order? MTHFR blood draw alternate?

Rosebud Dairy

The doc ordered the MTHFR blood draw on two of my children, and the stupid lab did not do it on either one of them!! As I really do not want to put them through another needle stick at this time, would a urine AA on NO supplements be helpful, and does the Doctors Data lab offer a similar Urine AA as Genova? I am looking for a non-blood draw test for children that can tell me more if they might also have my MTHFR. They respond in so many of the same positive ways to my vitamins, and in so many of the same negative ways to folic/folinic foods, that I am giving them my vitamins for now, but for this many children, it is expensive.

What do you think is the best non-blood draw test for more MTHFR-type info?

Thanks,
Rosebud

richvank

The doc ordered the MTHFR blood draw on two of my children, and the stupid lab did not do it on either one of them!! As I really do not want to put them through another needle stick at this time, would a urine AA on NO supplements be helpful, and does the Doctors Data lab offer a similar Urine AA as Genova? I am looking for a non-blood draw test for children that can tell me more if they might also have my MTHFR. They respond in so many of the same positive ways to my vitamins, and in so many of the same negative ways to folic/folinic foods, that I am giving them my vitamins for now, but for this many children, it is expensive.

What do you think is the best non-blood draw test for more MTHFR-type info?

Thanks,
Rosebud

Hi, Rosebud.

23andme.com offers a genotype panel that uses a saliva test. It characterizes about 1 million SNPs, including several for MTHFR. I am hopeful that other SNPs on this panel will eventually be found to be related to the folic acid and folinic acid intolerances, but that's just a hope at this point, since we haven't studied this enough yet.

Best regards,

Rich