• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Rich Von Konynenburg video on methylation cycle

Plum

Hi

I am new to the methylation cycle and it's implications in ME. I have had ME for 18 years and the last 3 have been severe. I have been reading and watching the info here:

http://phoenixrising.me/treating-cf...e-mecfs-glutathione-and-the-methylation-cycle

I was wondering if anyone had a copy of the slides which are used in the videos? I have been pausing the videos so I can write stuff down which is taking me rather a long time!

Thank you to anyone who can help.:)

Helen

Hi Plum,

I am glad for your sake that you found the methylation theory. I am sure this is very important in ME, together with the stressors that might trigger ME. Rich talks about many of them. In mail conversations that we have had, he is convinced that mercury in amalgam fillings is a very common stressor. That corresponds well to the experiences that we have in the IAOMT group in Sweden. The good thing is that an amalgam removal decreases the need for glutathione, which probably is one of the reasons that many ME people get so much better from it.

Links to the slides
http://iaomt.media.fnf.nu/networks/iaomt/IAOMT_talks_Rich_Van_K._2011__Part_1R.pdf
http://iaomt.media.fnf.nu/networks/iaomt/IAOMT_talks_Rich_Van_K._2011__Part_2.pdf

After the seminar Rich got an article about a study that indicated that with decreased methylatione you can´t methylate hydroycobalamin to methylcobalamin. Therefore hydroxycob might not work, and you will have to take methylcob.

Here is a a short version of Rich´s theory
http://blip.tv/mecfscenter/mt-sinai-me-cfs-conference-dr-rich-van-konynenburg-6427595

I wish you all the best!
Helen

Plum

Thank you Helen :) That was a really awesome reply! I didn't know if anyone knew where to get the slides as Rich mentioned emailing him to get a copy, which I realise is no longer possible.

Have you had success with the protocol? I don't have any fillings (thankfully) but my liver has never worked properly so I know I struggle with day to day detoxing anyway.

Thanks again :)

Helen

Glad if the input was of some help. Yes, I feel better having been on the protocol for more than a year. I was on mecobalamine before, and that made the biggest difference next to amalgam removal for me.

Sorry to hear about your liver. If you could afford a 23andme genetest I think you would get some valuable information. Maybe you have polymorphisms (gene defects) in the detox ability in the liver that could be good to know about.

Proper methylation gives us glutathione, but we also have to have enzymes in the liver to make use of the glutathione. Polymorphisms indicate if there is a risk for deficits in those enzymes for you (difficult to express this in English for me, so you might get some good laughs :)). The most interesting genes to check are called GSTM1, GSTP1 and GSTT1.

Plum

Thanks again :) I haven't heard of the 23andme test. Trying to look into it now. Is there a specific test for liver function or do they just test for things in general?

I'm so glad to hear having your fillings removed helped you. It's so bad that they put amalgam in peoples mouths. Also glad the protocol has helped. I'm trying to learn as much as possible about the protocol as I like understanding things from a scientific perspective BUT I'm glad to see the supplements are affordable - at least for me anyway.

I shall try to watch the second half of Rich's video tomorrow and the slides will be an immense help. Will speed things up a lot for me :)

Helen

If you search 23andme in this forum (and of course google it) you will get a lot of useful information. This test analyzes lots of genes but there is help from kday here, so that it is possible to pick out and check the result for most genes in the the methylation cycle according to Dr. Amy Yasko (her test is called Comprehensive Methylation Panel).
Also, wich is important to know about the liver and detox , you will be able to check most of the genes that are tested in the so called Genovations DetoxiGenomics. Polymorphisms here (the GST genes) indicates a risk for decreased ability to make use of the glutathione you have in your body.
I haven´t done this test myself, I made the "original" , specific ones,

Rich recommended a labtest first, to see how the methylation works. You will hear about it in the last video .

It takes some time to get into this, but it is well worth it, I think.

Plum

Thank you for the advice. Yes a lot to get my head around. I am glad I have a science background although the brain fog doesn't help! Also realising some jargon with the 23andme posts about genetics - so some more stuff to learn!

Always good to be learning though. I feel I have tried a lot of things already so am at a good point for trying the methylation therapy. I hope I have some energy tomorrow so I can get on with the second video :)

Thanks again.