• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Rich: High MPV

aquariusgirl

Hi Rich

You had a very elegant post on the significance of high MPV in PWCs somewhere on this site & I'd like to find it, but the search engine isn't much help.

Can you direct me to the right thread?

I want to explain to my doctor why MPVs run high in us patients & why B12 can help.

I'm also looking for any diagnoses or test results that would support a B12 prescription.

Thanks

FunkOdyssey

Not sure what Rich's explanation was but high MPV is usually found in the presence of a low platelet count and is the bone marrow's normal response to abnormally low platelet counts. The platelets are made larger as an effort to compensate. However, larger platelets are more prone to get stuck and therefore high MPV is a risk factor for cardiovascular events.

The picture of somewhat reduced platelets (not usually dangerously low but more typically borderline low) and elevated MPV seems to be pretty common in many chronically sick people and CFS patients in particular. It seems to represent an increased rate of peripheral destruction, probably by the spleen. This is seen in many viral infections, and in my opinion that's probably the cause here as CFS'ers tend to be a walking soup of chronic viral infection.

I try to remember to take a baby aspirin every day to prophylax against stroke because of the severity of my migraine. My data may not be up to date, but it used to be said that a baby aspirin would prophylax against stroke in females (but not males), and would prophylax against myocardial infarctions in males (but not females). This was a finding of one of the big Harvard studies on cardiovascular disease -- however, the findings may be now be out of date. I don't know. However, you don't want to mix aspirin and Advil or NSAIDS or CoX inhibitors because these definitely are associated with stroke, and that was a finding reported in the medical literature recently.

richvank

Hi Rich

You had a very elegant post on the significance of high MPV in PWCs somewhere on this site & I'd like to find it, but the search engine isn't much help.

Can you direct me to the right thread?

I want to explain to my doctor why MPVs run high in us patients & why B12 can help.

I'm also looking for any diagnoses or test results that would support a B12 prescription.

Thanks

Hi, aquarius.

You may be thinking of what I've posted about MCV and MCH. I don't think I've posted about MPV, and I haven't studied it. Funk sounds as though he has looked into it.

Best regards,

Rich