• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Rich! great videos you have

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
I only stumbled on them, you should have the link in your signature. They are extremely well ordered, a very good explanation of your approach. Having the slides on screen all the time works very well. And hey, you have a very good delivery style and screen presence, too. Great job all around.

For those who haven't seen them, there are 3 videos of roughly 1 hour each, starting at:
vimeo.com/36511892

(I found your videos via Dr. Smith www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KylT1Muvq8 which led to this writeup: www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC23CA806FEAC7AA8 )

Say hello to everybody in rabbit town for me :)

richvank

Hi, Sherlock.

I'm glad you liked the videos.Thanks for the compliments. I very much enjoyed presenting that seminar, and it has been a real gift from the Swedish IAOMT chapter to have the video available free on the internet. If you want to get copies of the slides, you can click on the blue print below the video.

I also very much appreciated Dr. Stephen Smith's response to the video. He had been treating people for methylation issues for some time, and he was aware of many of the clinical aspects, but he told me that this video put many of these pieces together for him on a biochemical basis.

I also appreciate valsharai's writeup. She really did her homework!

I've posted about these videos several times on PR, and I've wondered if people have gotten tired of hearing about them, but I'm glad to hear that there may still be people interested in finding out about them.

There have been a couple of modifications to the GD-MCB hypothesis in the past year, since that seminar. One is that there is now published evidence from Korea that glutathione is vital for intracellular B12 processing, so that glutathione depletion will clearly lead to a functional B12 deficiency, making that connection in the model stronger. The other is that Prof. Marty Pall convinced me that peroxynitrite breaks down some of the methylfolate in ME/CFS, and that that is the reason its level in the blood serum is low rather than high, as one would expect from the partial block of methionine synthase and the methyl trap mechanism alone. So that tied up another loose end and brought the model into better agreement with the observed data.

I don't get to rabbit town very often, but will try to remember to extend your greetings next time I do! :)

Best regards,

Rich

Wayne

I miss him already

For the past several months, I had been meaning to ask Rich about something he posted several years ago when he shared some insightful perspectives regarding the GD-MCB hypothesis (below). I never got around to it, because it seemed I already knew the answer. Here's what Rich wrote back in 2007 on the ProHealth board:
There's an old saying that a good idea becomes the property of everyone. I'm hoping that this hypothesis will indeed measure up to become the property of everyone. I can tell you that in my 40-plus years as a working scientist, I've never had the experience of things fitting together so well and so easily as they have with this hypothesis. Usually it's more like pulling teeth to come up with a hypothesis that really fits the observations, and you have to keep dumping what you have and starting again. But in this case, thanks to the things others did, that I have been able to take advantage of, the whole thing has come together very smoothly.

I miss him too.

*GG*

I posted on his Facebook page, I think. I think we should start a scholarship fund in his name, if it hasn't already been done? I know I could donate a few dollars, and with enough people, it could help some kid looking at the "health care" field, would probably be good for our cause also?

GG