• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ribose / R5P... "Potent Glycating Agents"?

dannybex

I stumbled across this study last night and found this somewhat concerning:

"Research has focused on glycation by glucose, assumed to be the most relevant sugar in both non-pathological tissues and hyperglycaemic conditions. However, glucose is not an efficient glycating agent as it overwhelmingly adopts its thermodynamically stable pyranose form, rather than the reactive open-chain aldehyde form.

Pentoses such as ribose and especially R5P (ribose-5-phosphate) are much more potent glycating agents, R5P reacting with amines 150-fold faster than glucose [4,5]. R5P and the mechanistically almost indistinguishable ADPR (adenosine diphosphate ribose) are both released into the extra-cellular matrix on cell necrosis, so are present in chronic inflammation where there is long-term cellular damage, and so could be potent biologically significant and, to date, under-investigated glycating agents."

This is based on preliminary in vitro work, but just wondering if one is should be concerned if they're taking decent amounts of riboflavin, d-ribose, or R5P (the active form of riboflavin) and have glycation, inflammation or blood sugar issues?

dannybex

Thanks @adreno for the clarification, much appreciated. I do remember that other thread, that's why I brought it up again after finding this study. But didn't catch the difference between the two compounds as you noted.

Riboflavin has been helping me w/sensitivity to light, and also with ongoing b-6 issues, although I still have trouble tolerating the latter.

So nice to know there are working brains on PR. Thanks again. :)

rosie26

@adreno @dannybex would you both avoid taking d ribose? I am asking because you understand more about ribose than I do. I have stopped taking it because I fell very sick with lung problems on top of my ME last year and I did wonder if the ribose might of contributed. I don't know if ribose could cause problems with the lungs?

dannybex

@rosie26 I'm cutting back because I do have glycation issues, so even though I'm taking quite small amounts (with creatine), I'm going to cut back and see how it goes. If my "energy" (haha) gets worse, then I'll consider increasing it.

rosie26

@dannybex I can understand why you still want to keep taking a little of it still. It pepped me up energy-wise and also lessened some pain in my hands. But, I don't know, this glycation thing sounds serious stuff but then I don't know how serious it really is because I don't understand the science of it.

Last edited: