• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

RHR: Are Vegetarian Diets Better for the Microbiome?

Effi

For the record, I do advocate for a vegan diet, for the societal and environmental benefits, but it won't magically cure any health issues.
I know people who really thrive on a vegan diet. And I do understand the ethical thoughts behind it. I've tried it a couple of years before I got sick, for health and ethical reasons - it was macrobiotic-ish and I really did enjoy that food. But in the end it just didn't work out for me healthwise.

I grew up on a Vegan diet as a child thanks to mum's background and that is one of the many reasons I am still severely underweight and cannot thrive so yeah... I have seen some people achieve good health after going Vegan in their 30's or 50's so I do still recommend it to some people but I'm still not completely sold on the idea.

I'd like to see people raised Vegan (from birth as I was) turn out healthy and their children turn out healthy unlike me.

But if it works for some people even in the present moment then that's great. You just have to try everything out and see what works. Nutrition is not a straight-forward game.

Last edited: