• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Resveratrol anyone?

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Freddd the problem is I am afraid of doing methylation. The last time I entered the psychiatric zone. Normally some docs would agree that I have a mental disorder but until that day of overmethylation I never really felt crazy in the sheer way that I consider being really mentally ill.

But I know I should try it some day... Maybe soon.

Last edited:

Freddd

Freddd the problem is I am afraid of doing methylation. The last time I entered the psychiatric zone. Normally some docs would agree that I have a mental disorder but until that day of overmethylation I never really felt crazy in the sheer way that I consider being really mentally ill.

But I know I should try it some day... Maybe soon.

Hi Beyond,

Can you describe precisely the experience, the moods, feelings, thoughts, what order and intensities. Also, please list ALL the supplements, herbs etc being taken at the time. And one reason it is important because AdoCbl doesn't have a whole lot to do with methylation except that lack of methylation can deadlock it. Perhaps I can suggest other possible interpretations that may suggest work around, or very micro titrations and things like that. There neurological psych reactions can tell so much about the damage that has occurred. Also, what are your usual moods like? Are you fearful or anxious generally and especially of perceived possible risk?

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
To further dig into the common negative and rare positive effects of Resveratrol on sleep: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3745962/

It seems the way it does improve or worsen sleep (have seen reports of both) is by affecting the cyrcadian rhythm genes. This is also believed in the longecity forums were people are really obsessed with RESV lol

The study was done on http://www.biolib.cz/IMG/GAL/107407.jpg it doesnt seem like an sleepy animal O_O hehe.

alex3619

Its also worth noting that circadian rhythms are profoundly altered by oxidative stress. So anything that helps this (methylation protocol, antioxidants) can assist in regulating circadian issues. Both resveratrol and melatonin are antioxidants as well as their other effects.

Critterina

I was very excited until recently to start supplementing Resveratrol for my intestinal inflammation, it seems to be one of the most powerful polyphenols or natural substances for IBD and leaky gut. However, I already have awful sleep problems and aggravating them would be a great way to go quickly downhill... Too many people report sleep problems to ignore it. I don´t know, I might try it. According to a forum poster here, the sleep-worsening effects of RES are due to its lowering PGE2 potential.

Beyond, have you ruled out histamine intolerance? For me, it was a MAJOR cause of inflammation. (although adrenal insufficiency is probably not helping). A low histamine diet is pretty boring, but being free of the inflammation is priceless.

Violeta

I am having good results with reishi. I added in cordyceps about 5 days ago. I have been able to eat a greater variety of food and then because of that I was able to cut out gluten and dairy. I have less fatigue and aches and pains, and don't have to urinate and drink water so often. The most amazing thing that has happened is that I've been whistling for about 3 days now, which I only have done when I feel okay. I hadn't found myself whistling for several years now. It didn't hit me until about an hour ago what that meant. I am getting better! I even went off my gluten/casein free diet on Friday night, but still am improving.

I saw a friend with similar issues on Friday night, and she said, quite coincidentally, that the only thing that has given her relief is the coffee mixed with reishi and cordyceps that you may have seen at iherb or on the net. She had tried reishi tincture and capsules but the stuff mixed with coffee is what helps her, not only with energy, but also with pain. That made me think that reishi works better alongside a particular medium, and I had found that a dropperfull of it in decaf coffee works really well, but in oolong tea or dandyblend coffee substitute, it just bothers me. I've been taking aspirin with mexican coke since last spring when I found information that aspirin gets uric acid out of the body, and remembered that coke potentiates aspirin. Aspirin and coke almost always makes me feel better, but when it doesn't I take some activated charcoal. I tried reishi with coke yesterday, and they do work well together. I would rather take reishi than aspirin, as it's benefits far outweigh aspirin.

I also ordered some chaga, can't wait to try that.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
So Resveratrol seemed to give me diarreah AND more insomnia. Nice uh? I have to go on though despite of my bad luck! Will give it to my brother and friend and see how it goes with them just for scientific curiosity.

Violeta

Thanks for the update, I was wondering how it was going. That's too bad that it bothered you. Is that a common reaction to it?

What was your bad experience with reishi?

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Hey I told you already, Paradise Reishi didn´t help me at all. I even took 14 capsules one night to see. Same with Aloha Cordyceps (took a lot of capsules once it became obvious I wasn´t getting any effect with normal daily doses).

I feel like one of these CFS cases where most of supplements just don´t work at all. I have taken things that affected me in the past though, methylation supplements caused the most pronounced (and scary) reaction.

Violeta

Do you have any pain? And do you mind if I ask what type of diet you eat? I have one other thought or direction.

Is your resveratrol made from grape skins?

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
I have pelvic pain, sore or inflammed intestine now and then and well, bad sleeping gaves me headaches, so I have pain/discomfort frequently. I eat a leaky gut diet which is no gluten, corn, soya or dairy and everything I try to eat organic and few legumes or grains, low sugar except raw honey which is actually very healthy. Nah it is Healthy Origins, made from Polygonum Cuspidatum. I might try it again, but first my brother and friend will be the guinea pigs lol.

Violeta

I had those same problems, maybe a few more, too. Have you ever thought of porphyria. I wouldn't consider it until I read and article by Steven Rochlitz. Just following a few porphyria recommendations cured the intestinal pain and insomnia. Glucose. No sulforaphane (sp?). Politically incorrect, I know.

Violeta

Must be a gene for that Violeta I´ll check it out, thanks for telling.

Yes, there are genes involved, genes that have to do with enzymes that lead to the production of heme.

"The acute porphyrias are classified as hepatic, because the excess intermediates accumulate initially in the liver. These porphyrias are always associated with gene mutations that reduce the function of a specific heme pathway enzyme (see diagram). The porphyrin precursors, δ-aminolevulinic acid (ALA) and porphobilinogen (PBG), are substantially increased in the three most common acute porphyrias (AIP, HCP, and VP), with only ALA being increased in ADP. The porphyria precursors are presumed to cause the neurological manifestations of these diseases."

Since there are genes involved, you would think it would be simple to diagnose, but it's not. It's very difficult to get a diagnosis. So much so that my friend who has it really bad had to go to several doctors before she got a diagnosis. One doctor, a doctor from Temple, if you know anything about hospitals in the Philadelphia, told her that she needs to see a psychiatrist. At that point she didn't know what was wrong with her. That was about 20 years ago, and it's still difficult to get a diagnosis. I spent some time reading at a porph forum, and it's still difficult to get a diagnosis.

Some people can have it in a latent form, and then something like hormones, mercury, or a medicine can make it kick in.

Let me know if you figure anything out about the genetic part.

Violeta

Here's the article by Steven Rochlitz about porphyria that explains it as it presents itself in a lot of people who fall under the radar because their symptoms are not a total match with those on regular porphyria sites.

http://truemedicine.com.au/wp-content/uploads/1801porphyria.pdf

I've seen that at a porphyria forum that the type that I have called is referred to as smoldering, where you have the chronic subacute pain that is debilitating and draining, but might be considered simply hypochondriacal by those who aren't experiencing it.

I think we find our way to this forum because many of the symptoms are brought on by the same vitamin deficiencies, and because of liver and adrenal condition, we can't overcome them. We are truly universal reactors.....we even react to what the common person finds "good for you".

The strangest part is that what is politically correct as "being good for you", can actually bring on a flare, while something that is inpolitically correct is avoided because "it's not good for you".