• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Restless brain

I have severe feeling like thousands of ants crawling in the brain. This happens all day and during sleep, causing me to wake up intermittently. Very frustrated. Any one with similar experience?

caledonia

It may have something to do with GABA / glutamate balance. GABA is calming, glutamate is stimulating. You can try calming supplements like l-theanine and magnesium. You may need to take them through out the day and before bedtime, like four times a day. Any form of magnesium is good (magnesium glycinate, magnesium taurate, etc.) except magnesium oxide, which does not absorb well.

Also check your diet for things like aspartame and eliminate them (any artificial sweetners, MSG, etc. )

taniaaust1

I used to get that feeling with the ME... but in my case it wasnt just in my brain.. I got that right throu my whole body.. the most bothersome was my actual skin. (my case fit Morgellon's, many Morgellon's cases also meet ME/CFS criteria).

Seeing its just in your brain it dont sound like the issue I had.

arx

I have severe feeling like thousands of ants crawling in the brain. This happens all day and during sleep, causing me to wake up intermittently. Very frustrated. Any one with similar experience?

I too have sensations in the nerves of my brain. I describe them as weird buzzing sensations. I can't say whether what we feel is the same thing,but I would say similar,and it is hard to describe weird nerve sensations to another person(everyone perceives it in a different way). I used to have them in my legs,spine and head before. Months of mb12 have made them better,but they come again with startup after adding more supplements. My problem is definitely b12 and cofactor related. I don't know about yours,but yes, I face a similar experience and have been facing for about 10 months now. It is very frustrating. Won't let me sleep. I couldn't sleep lying straight for more than 6 months because I had those sensations in my spine,and they were very intense.

Seadragon

My experience is very similar to arx (above post)

MethylB12 and co factors (I'm doing Freddd's protocol) and Magnesium (Epsom salt baths especially) have helped a lot but the sensations still come back sometimes.

Love Esperanza x