• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Restless body instead of restless legs syndrome

taniaaust1

I've thought about going the anti-psychotic (Seroquel) route for treating overstimulation, but suspect the blocking of so many receptors in the brain would make depression far worse. Have you found this?

I personally wouldnt recommend Seroquel for ME/CFS things.. It can leave one feeling soo hungover and tired. That stuff makes me feel like crap when I tried to take it.

For settling down neuro excitability there are usually other drugs recommended for ME/CFS which are also said to be more neurologically protective.

taniaaust1

i have restless legs but wake up sometimes whole body kinda jerking or arms....not sure if that is what you are talking about...

Your jerking doesnt sound like RLS but other neuro ME stuff.

With RLS.. there is this real annoying feel (hence people will also do it in their sleep trying to make things more confortable).. It makes me feel like I just would like to shake my legs off or something, I would twitch at times too (I also get myolconus etc at times) but the feel. Its quite irritating and one cant get comfortable due to it.

It does make one quite restless.. I guess hence the name.

adreno

PR activist
The fully diagnose your gut problems (as close as our unreliable test is possible) you need to do:

hydrogen breath tests (lactulose (NOT glucose or sucrose))
neurotoxic metablite test (H2S urine test)
a good stool test that includes years, bacteria and parasites (metametrix gi effects fits this bill, red labs/bioscreen doesn't)

Also have someone who is able to interpret these, as sometimes the reference ranges aren't optimal. For instance, just because strep isn't through the roof doesn't mean it's not producing H2S and causing problems because of it. This is also the same for prevotella.

The red labs, bioscreen tests have much better reference ranges than the metametrix, but there is a major limitation on the range of pathogens it is designed to detect.

A lot of people get worse on faecal transplant or just plain fail the treatment. It can be a risk.

Thanks, hixxy. Sounds like you know your way around stool tests. Metametrix it is, then.

WRT fecal transplant, I am considering using my one year old son's feces, not a strangers. Would you still consider this a risk?

adreno

PR activist
I've thought about going the anti-psychotic (Seroquel) route for treating overstimulation, but suspect the blocking of so many receptors in the brain would make depression far worse. Have you found this?

I wouldn't go that route. Especially since there is a risk of tardive dyskinesia involved, and also because cognitive function is likely worsened.

To counter exitotoxicity, I would consider gabapentin, lamotrigine or lithium.

Supplements that might help include theanine, taurine, melatonin, lithium, B12 and magnesium. There is a relatively new compound, magnesium threonate, which has shown superior ability to cross the BBB in a few studies, but I haven't tried it.

taniaaust1

WRT fecal transplant, I am considering using my one year old son's feces, not a strangers. Would you still consider this a risk?

A child that young.. a baby.. i dont know if would be a good cadicate?/candigate? (sorry word issues) for using his.. dont know if a child that young would have good stable cultures build up well????? also would a child that young get their own bowel cultures to a degree from thier parents?

I dont really know what im saying but it may be something wise check as far as using a baby son for it. At what age do people develop their own good bowel flora cultures? etc and with the very young is it from parents (so from you already)? If you have more of a bad flora.. maybe he could currently too????

hixxy

Thanks, hixxy. Sounds like you know your way around stool tests. Metametrix it is, then.

Indeed, shame my gut is still a disaster. Knowledge doesn't always translate into results.

A one year old is completely unsuitable. Their flora isn't full developed yet. Recommendations I've seen are age 16+ and regardless of who it is, family or not, they must be screened blood wise and stool wise. You have an immune deficiency disorder, something that another body is able to keep at bay, may just cause an infection in you. Google the "power of poo". There are some guides on there for screening donors.

hixxy

BTW. stool tests cannot diagnose SIBO.

taniaaust1

andro.. I just searched it for you and was right with what I thought.

We inherit or acquire our gut flora from our mother at birth. Through the birth canal a baby swallows its first mouthfuls of bacteria, it then settles in the baby's sterile gut and becomes gut flora. Breast feeding is another way mum passes her gut flora to her baby. So what ever lives in mums digestive system become the baby's digestive system. Bottle fed babies acquire completely different gut flora than those that are breast fed.

http://www.purenewyou.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=162

It is an aweful thought that babies of ME/CFS mothers may be starting their lives out not right in this area. Sounds like giving our babies good cultured yogurt of various types, when they are old enough to be having it.. may be a good idea.

I wonder if probotics are safe for babies?????? Probotics suggestion I just found was for children not babies.. "For children: half the dose of an adult. You can also open a capsule and dissolve a small amount, in maybe 30 mls. of cold water. "

hixxy

Both my sister and I were bottle fed. We both have allergy problems (only mine are just a tad more psycho!) Whole family suffers SIBO. Whole family has a tendency towards anxiety/depression.

hixxy

adreno

PR activist
andro.. I just searched it for you and was right with what I thought.

http://www.purenewyou.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=162

It is an aweful thought that babies of ME/CFS mothers may be starting their lives out not right in this area. Sounds like giving our babies good cultured yogurt of various types, when they are old enough to be having it.. may be a good idea.

I wonder if probotics are safe for babies?????? Probotics suggestion I just found was for children not babies.. "For children: half the dose of an adult. You can also open a capsule and dissolve a small amount, in maybe 30 mls. of cold water. "

Thanks. I'm aware that babies inherit their gut flora from the mother. The mother is healthy though, no ME or other disease.

I have read that children's flora is fully developed by the age of 3. Unfortunately, I'm impatient.

But thanks for the warning, guys. Maybe it's not such a hot idea. Deliberately infecting ourselves with parasites might be a better idea.

hixxy

Our immune systems make faecal transplant such a gamble. Opportunistic infections that are doing absolutely nothing to someone else can completely tear us apart. I don't think I could bring myself to do faecal transplant.

hixxy

taniaaust1

I have read that children's flora is fully developed by the age of 3.

And if someone has antibiotics.. we were always told at college that it can take up to 12mths for their flora to get back to normal.

I guess as antibiotics tend to be used in children a lot.. that could also be an issue if we wanted a good donor for this.