• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Restless body instead of restless legs syndrome

Does anyone experience restless body syndrome as opposed to restless leg syndrome?
Thought it could be excitotoxicity and requested Doc to prescribe Gabapentin, which makes
me very drowsy at 100mg. I feel nauseous and loss of appetite. This is taken with Lamictal in the morning and Rivotril at night. My doc said he hasn't heard of excitotoxicity and thus could not offer any treatment. :(

taniaaust1

Yes.. it used to be not just my legs which used to be affected by it but my whole body.

I actually saw a article at a popular medical site the other day, if I remember which it was, I'll put a link here to it. The article was titled restless leg syndrome but actually said other parts of the body may be affected by it.

hixxy

I get restless body syndrome on antidepressants. It's enough to drive you up the wall. I actually abruptly stopped antidepressants many years ago because of it. Not such a good idea.

nanonug

adreno

PR activist
Incredible!

I keep telling people here on this forum that if they have any kind of gut issue, they should focus on that first and foremost. Which leads some to question this kind of advice. The evidence, however, keeps piling up in this direction. And then there is my own anecdote: when my gut is fixed, my chronic fatigue disappears.

Can you recommend a stool analysis, available in Europe?

adreno

PR activist
I personally like the Metametrix GI Effects due to their use of PCR technology instead of the more commonly used culture methods. Metametrix has this page with international distributors. I don't think this test will tell anything useful about bacterial overgrowth in the small intestine, though.

Thanks. So this test would use the same technology (PCR)?

"We have developed and validated a new procedure to analyze bacterial populations in a stool sample. This state the art procedure is based on 16s PCR amplification followed by high-throughput sequencing. It provides an comprehensive overview of all bacterial species, including those that could previously not be analyzed by traditional culture techniques."

http://www.redlabs.be/red-labs/our-tests/intestinal-dysfunction-assays.php

But if those tests don't provide info on SIBO, maybe it would be recommendable to simply do an empirical trial of rituximab first?

I am also considering a fecal transplant, but this wouldn't impact any SIBO, if done enema route.

nanonug

So this test would use the same technology (PCR)?

"We have developed and validated a new procedure to analyze bacterial populations in a stool sample. This state the art procedure is based on 16s PCR amplification followed by high-throughput sequencing. It provides an comprehensive overview of all bacterial species, including those that could previously not be analyzed by traditional culture techniques."

Based on the blurb, I would say yes.

But if those tests don't provide info on SIBO, maybe it would be recommendable to simply do an empirical trial of rituximab first?

I believe you wanted to say rifaximin, right? :)

I am also considering a fecal transplant, but this wouldn't impact any SIBO, if done enema route.

Ouch!

hixxy

I believe this is called Akathisia.

Going by the description it's more distinctly restless leg syndrome. It ticks ever box for RLS, except when it gets severe it spreads to other limbs. So not really restless body syndrome because it only spreads to my arms.

It's pretty much an annoying sensation in the legs or arms that is soothed or disappears when you move, therefore you either sit still and have the sensations drive you mad or move!!

hixxy

hixxy

i have restless legs but wake up sometimes whole body kinda jerking or arms....not sure if that is what you are talking about...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restless_legs_syndrome

Restless legs syndrome (RLS) or Willis-Ekbom disease is a neurological disorder characterized by an irresistible urge to move one's body to stop uncomfortable or odd sensations

The movement in RLS isn't involuntary, so yours doesn't sound like true RLS.

My dad suffers from the same kind of problem as you and doctors call it erroneously call it RLS as well. My dad is prescribed Parkinson's medication for it.

Gotta love how doctors lump different illness into similar baskets.

hixxy

Thanks. So this test would use the same technology (PCR)?

Rituximab can help SIBO??

The fully diagnose your gut problems (as close as our unreliable test is possible) you need to do:

hydrogen breath tests (lactulose (NOT glucose or sucrose))
neurotoxic metablite test (H2S urine test)
a good stool test that includes years, bacteria and parasites (metametrix gi effects fits this bill, red labs/bioscreen doesn't)

Also have someone who is able to interpret these, as sometimes the reference ranges aren't optimal. For instance, just because strep isn't through the roof doesn't mean it's not producing H2S and causing problems because of it. This is also the same for prevotella.

The red labs, bioscreen tests have much better reference ranges than the metametrix, but there is a major limitation on the range of pathogens it is designed to detect.

A lot of people get worse on faecal transplant or just plain fail the treatment. It can be a risk.

If only the MAF yoghurt was more readily available. Seems it might be promising in rebuild the but flora (microbiome). As far as I know the injectable GcMAF doesn't encourage this?

hixxy

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
i get the full body aches and RLS from many things i have tried for sleep like tricyclic meds, antihistamines and seroquel which could give me very bad back pain. Lower doses and using lyrica and neurontin have helped me to reduce this problem. Sometimes if my sleep is very bad for a few days then i will use the seroquel and put up with the body pains/aches and just have an easy day and use some mild over the counter pain meds. Its a rock and a hard place, no sleep or pain, i will choose pain today. Its not always like this but happens irregularly.

cheers!!!

hixxy

i get the full body aches and RLS from many things i have tried for sleep like tricyclic meds, antihistamines and seroquel which could give me very bad back pain. Lower doses and using lyrica and neurontin have helped me to reduce this problem. Sometimes if my sleep is very bad for a few days then i will use the seroquel and put up with the body pains/aches and just have an easy day and use some mild over the counter pain meds. Its a rock and a hard place, no sleep or pain, i will choose pain today. Its not always like this but happens irregularly.

cheers!!!

I've thought about going the anti-psychotic (Seroquel) route for treating overstimulation, but suspect the blocking of so many receptors in the brain would make depression far worse. Have you found this?

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I've thought about going the anti-psychotic (Seroquel) route for treating overstimulation, but suspect the blocking of so many receptors in the brain would make depression far worse. Have you found this?

No, i only use very low doses like 25-50mg maybe once a fortnight when my sleep go's missing. It was very sedating at first with a big hangover but now not so bad. I think it works more like a very strong antihistamine. When i go through very bad patches of sleep i find seroquel resets my brain/sleep and then my normal sleep meds etc will work again. I think using it in low doses and very intermittently helps avoid many side effects. I have read doses over 200mg dont help sleep any more then the lower doses and side effects are more common when doses are in the 800mg range, but this is the dosages prescribed for bipolar etc. If i used it nightly i found it stopped working for sleep, but that happens with everything i take for sleep, lol.

cheers!!!