• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Response to the editorial by Dr Geraghty by the PACE Trial team

Jenny TipsforME

It isn't a conflict of interest. He just has very strong motivation to get good science for ME. A lot of people research something of personal interest. The people least likely to have conflicts of interest over ME research are pwme or their carers. We aren't likely to be sidetracked by career advantages and so on.

They are talking about disclosing personal motivations (which isn't the same as Conflict of Interest). In terms of being transparent about personal perspective, there could be a bigger place for that in research, but it definitely doesn't feel appropriate to have patient-researchers prove that they do have the condition. That would be humiliating and unnecessary.

Mithriel

I spoke about this to my husband who is a medical microbiologist. He was OUTRAGED. Someone's medical status is private and it is totally unethical to make it public. Looking at someone's medical history without authority is a firing offence. To bring in a requirement that any illness should be made public goes against every medical ethic and that doctors are demanding this is quite shocking.

Mithriel