• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Responding poorly to cortisol therapy/hydrocortisone

An adrenal test taken a few months ago indicated moderately low cortisol output throughout the day, however my symptoms have been relatively bad. I wake up groggy and tired, get hypoglycemic reactions after a high protein breakfast, cannot exercise, I have rapidly gained weight and my cognition is impaired.

Recently I took a 5mg dose of Cortef in the morning. I reacted badly, and it definitely aggravated a lot of my adrenal fatigue symptoms. I noticed the effect almost immediately. I upped the dose to 10mg with no success. It also makes me bloated and very sleepy, and induces blurry vision, head pressure, breathing difficulties etc. I'm not sure if these are symptoms of adversely high cortisol.

Does my body need more cortisol? I'm scared to increase the dose and experience more adverse, debilitating symptoms. I'm self-navigating and it's puzzling why my adrenals are not responding to cortisol therapy. I've attempted different natural treatments from vitamin B5, vitamin c, glandulars and licorice root with no success.

outdamnspot

Hi,

I was going to post about HC as well. I have really severe 'adrenal fatigue' symptoms. I decided to try 5mg x 4 for two days, but also felt quite strange -- I became more irritable and aggressive, and felt sickly/medicated/foggy; it also increased my appetite, and I had bad thirst attacks on it. The positives I noticed were improved erections and feeling less exhausted.

I've read that if your body is used to running on adrenaline (to compensate for low cortisol), then exogenous cortisol can make you tired at first. However, the mood instability bothered me. I would also get breathing difficulties like you when I tried to take a small dose before bed.

I've been wondering if I should have stuck it out a bit longer, but HC is something I'm scared to mess around with.

Esther12

Personally I would be really cautious taking anything when we're lacking good evidence that the benefits of doing so will outweigh the costs. If it makes you feel worse, I'd stop.

Always listen to your body. If you're having these adverse symptoms then you definitely don't want to keep increasing the dose.

http://drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Hydrocor...afely_and_without_causing_adrenal_suppression

In the above article, it says in order to use hydrocortisone safely, without causing adrenal suppression, you have to use 5-10mgs daily and rarely 15 mgs. Hydrocortisone is a steroid and steroids in high doses have nasty side effects so if you're having bad side effects right now (at this low dose), then you definitely don't want to keep increasing the dose.