• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Resources on glutathione causing methyl block

SDSue

Southeast
I'd love to know the answer to this. I strongly suspect that a single IV glutathione treatment (also included B-12 but not sure which form) is what caused me to go from a 6 to a 1 within an hour. I was literally left crawling thru an airport and unable to get home for several days. I have yet to recover beyond a 2.

PeterPositive

@SDSue: I am sorry for your bad experience.
It seems like glutathione is a complicated subject in general.

I am not sure to have read many positive experiences with glutathione in this forum, but maybe I haven't read enough. Most people seem to have had symptoms of methylation-block or other side effects.

Also not all doctors are very enthusiast with supplementing glutathione directly, especially orally.

I was listening to a conference with Dr Ben Lynch and he was saying the people with lots of "cellular damage", such as high oxidative stress, will get little to no benefit with direct supplementation.
Also dosage seems to be important as it would cause "feedback inhibition", which to me sounds like another way to say methylation block.

Personally I have to say oral glutathione is helping... and against almost all I've read it's one of the few supplements that lifts me up a bit as soon as I take it :eek:

I am just using "Reduced glutathione" (Jarrow)... the one that, according to some docs, it is supposed to be very poorly absorbed etc... etc...

Well... at the moment it's working... taking 2 pills/day. Go figure. :)
Also I have to say that if you go and check people's comments on large websites such as Amazon or iHerb the majority is saying that it works very well for them.

Maybe Lynch is right, it has to do with the overall state of the cells and if they can absorb it or not.

Final thought I also have a bottle of Acetyl-glutathione, but haven't tried it yet. It seems to be much more absorbable.
http://www.nleducation.co.uk/resources/reviews/oral-glutathione-equivalent-to-iv-therapy/

PeterPositive

@PeterPositive Isn't it wonderful to find something that actually helps! Are you taking methylation supplements as well?
Yes, it is. Especially after having tried all sorts of things.
In any case it seems that supplementing glutathione might be a first step but in the end I should be able to produce it by myself, with a properly functioning methylation cycle.

I am taking several supplements. The usual things: methylfolate and methyl-B12, Ado-B12, P5P, R5P etc...

I am now waiting for the results of the methylation panel to see what's going on a little more in detail. I have no idea how screwed my methylation is :D. According to my homocysteine levels it is moderately screwed.

From the problems you have described you seem to have had a problem similar to Freddd's. Just a bit of glutathione caused major damage. Are you following his protocol, by chance?

cheers

whodathunkit

This question goes back to the beginning of the thread regarding homocysteine levels...does anyone know what optimal levels are? My homocysteine was 5-something last month, and I've been trying to figure out if that's too low or not. I've seen various answers on the internet, with someone named Dr. Sinatra saying anything under 7 is too low and should be brought up, while others say it should be lower than 7.

Anyone have a definitive optimal level of homocysteine from a source they trust?

PeterPositive

This question goes back to the beginning of the thread regarding homocysteine levels...does anyone know what optimal levels are? My homocysteine was 5-something last month, and I've been trying to figure out if that's too low or not. I've seen various answers on the internet, with someone named Dr. Sinatra saying anything under 7 is too low and should be brought up, while others say it should be lower than 7.
From what I know 6-7 is the "optimal" value.
<5 might be too low. Homocysteine is necessary for producing glutathione.

ETA: if your level is 5.x you might be border low. Maybe adding a bit of extra methionine via the diet (or supplements) could raise it a bit. I can can give you some of mine too :D

whodathunkit

I think it was 5.8. I can't remember the number behind the "." now.

I use selenomethionine for my selenium. How else an I add methionine?

whodathunkit

Well, off the top of my head without researching, that's what I thought.

Sadly, I already eat lots of protein, so that's unlikely to help. And if I eat any more eggs I will start laying them myself and fly away. ;)

I was thinking more of methionine from supplements. But I guess I'll just look for stuff bound with methionine and try those for a while.

Also do some more research see what else could be up.

Thanks, Peter!