• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Resignation

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Took Nytol at 5pm last night (doxepin has to be ordered into the pharmacy) and Im a screaming mess today. CAn't function at all which is impossible as I have a child excited for christmas and there I am shuffling and slurring and crying in the bathroom trying to hide this f****** mess of my life.

Doxepin will catapult me into the stratosphere of hell if Nytol does this to me.

There is nothing I can take and there is nothing I can do unless I can live at this level of suffering (which I can't) ...it has only taken me 18 years of constant fighting to realise this.

Dont give up on doxepin yet. Try it first.

Alot of antihistamines , sedating antidepressants and things like seroquel can give people a bad hangover. Sometimes using lower doses can help. Over time most build some type of tolerance and next day sedation wheres off.

When i first used seroquel i slept 14hrs and woke up groggy. I think i was so sleep deprived i just needed the sleep. I used it maybe once weekly for what i called catch up sleep when i knew i didn't have to function the next day. I did feel crappy when i woke up but it was alot better than not sleeping. It did sort of reset my poor little brain too. But over time i have been able to use lower doses and no hangover. I still only use it occassionally .

I think you may find liquid doxepin a good choice as u can titrate doses up slowly in 1mg increments , which are very low dosage increments .

digital dog

It was 25mg. I'm so glad I didn't take the two recommended.
I'm coming out of the fog a little now but now I have agitation and anxiety from them.
Doxepin apparently works on the histamine receptors so I imagine it will be similar.
I am going to wait until after Xmas.

digital dog

Thank you.
I can't get smaller than 25 but it is in a capsule so I can take a couple of beads perhaps. I will try it but not tonight as I have to be up with child for xmas.

daisybell

You could sacrifice a few doses.... Empty out a capsule and then split one into two. That way you can still swallow it in the capsule but try half the amount?
Am thinking of you, and hoping that you find something that works ok for you. :hug:

slysaint

But did it help you get to sleep?
I have the same problem with any kind of sedative.
If you can work out the minimum needed just to get you to sleep and only take it an hour before you go to bed you might have more success with less after effects.
Wishing you all the best for Christmas and the new year.

Tired of being sick

Yes,

Mostly because of reading this forum.

Every single mention of treatment whether it be
pharmaceutical,homeopathic,cognitive behavioral therapy
and of course Graded Exercise Therapy! Is "ALWAYS"
a dead end!

Every single thing I read here,hurls me into a deeper depression!!

Especially the feeding of the trolls on the claim of overcoming ME/CFS/SEID threads!!!
These false claim threads have more responses than every other "true honest" thread combined!!!!

I barely come here anymore because this forum is very very depressing!!!!!
The more the dead end threads, the more I become depressed!!!!!!

geraldt52

This might come off as a bit odd, digital dog, but one thing that helped me when I was at my worst was not eating after about 2pm...which of course meant skipping dinner and evening snacks. Sometimes I had a cup of tea or bullion for dinner. I don't know why it helped, obviously something to do with gut issues, but it actually worked fantastic and I slept reasonably well for a while. The benefits seemed to go away over the weeks/months, but they were real, and a lifesaver while they lasted. It doesn't cost anything, it won't have any side effects, and it really wasn't as unpleasant as it sounds. I even lost some weight as a bonus!

I do know what a difficult spot you are in and hope you find something.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
This might come off as a bit odd, digital dog, but one thing that helped me when I was at my worst was not eating after about 2pm...which of course meant skipping dinner and evening snacks. Sometimes I had a cup of tea or bullion for dinner. I don't know why it helped, obviously something to do with gut issues, but it actually worked fantastic and I slept reasonably well for a while. The benefits seemed to go away over the weeks/months, but they were real, and a lifesaver while they lasted. It doesn't cost anything, it won't have any side effects, and it really wasn't as unpleasant as it sounds. I even lost some weight as a bonus!

I do know what a difficult spot you are in and hope you find something.
It was hunger that often kept me awake as a child, so it may have the opposite effect on some people. I had to sneak downstairs to 'steal' biscuits as I was so hungry (children weren't allowed to just help themselves to food in my childhood home). If you are eating a better diet than I had you might be OK (mine was very high-GI).

digital dog

I tried Nytol and was comatosed the next day. I have a prescription for doxepin but due to 18 years of getting much worse on drugs i am VERY hesitant to try it. I know in my heart of hearts it will make me MUCH worse and I suppose I should trust my intuition.

Today I feel that I will either just live with the insomnia and all the trauma, suffering and pain it causes or it will get too much and i will top-myself.

It really has come down to this. Drugs for me are not the answer. They make me worse.

So it's really all dependent on how long i can go on or whether a little miracle will happen.

I may just snap one day and that will be it...

Joy to the world!

Groggy Doggy

I tried Nytol and was comatosed the next day. I have a prescription for doxepin but due to 18 years of getting much worse on drugs i am VERY hesitant to try it. I know in my heart of hearts it will make me MUCH worse and I suppose I should trust my intuition.

Today I feel that I will either just live with the insomnia and all the trauma, suffering and pain it causes or it will get too much and i will top-myself.

It really has come down to this. Drugs for me are not the answer. They make me worse.

So it's really all dependent on how long i can go on or whether a little miracle will happen.

I may just snap one day and that will be it...

Joy to the world!
@digital dog

The one thing that always worked for me is drug free: (taken this for 17 years)

Natrol 5-HTP 50 mg (not time released)

I take 3 capsules about 10-15 minutes before I want to go to bed.

I go into a deep REM sleep quickly and feel happy upon waking up the next day

I recommended it to several people and they all liked it better than taking sleep meds.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
I tried Nytol and was comatosed the next day.
Did you sleep at all?

I took what I understand is quite a normal dose of promethazine (another sedating antihistamine) prescribed by my doctor (partly?) for sinus congestion, and was almost unconscious for about 24 hours, but boy - did I sleep well! I tried taking half that dose (about 12.5 mg) and it's ideal for me.

Aviva3

I have really bad insomnia; typical with dysautonomia.

Sleep meds: I do take a baby dose of Nortriptyline (10mg.) In morning (also for pain). Also, 7.5 mg. of Mirtazipine at night with .25 mg Klonopin. Almost like homeopathy. I repeat Klonopin when I wake during the night: up to . 75 mg. tops.. Z drugs useless, but I find short-acting Sonata sometimes helpful, as well as low-dose melatonin.

I also just started smoking a bit of mild pot: really helps. My real weapon is considered verybpoor sleep hygiene. British TV mysteries and period dramas on a timer. They just knock me out. Morse, George Gently...nothing too interesting or gorey and repeats are welcome.

I also now sleep alone for 1st time in 24 yrs. Sad, but necessary, for I never sleep through the night and TV is unbearable for my husband. Helps. Now if I can only kick my cat out (unlike my husband, he will throw himself on the door all night if I close it).

Things are improving a bit now, so hopefully I can give up my single status before we are too doddering to care.

I have only been very ill for a year.

Timaca

I was on vacation the last several days and without internet access, so I couldn't share at the time. I did not sleep near as well and believe it was due to one of two things (or both). I started the probiotic Align. I also was taking some GSE (Grapefruit Seed Extract) in the hopes it would keep me from getting the horrible cold that everyone in my family has.

I ended up sleeping worse each night. (Both can give possible histamine issues....). I stopped them both and slept better again. I then took just the GSE (10 drops) and again didn't sleep well. I stopped that and took Align. I slept fine the first night. Last night was a bit hard to fall asleep and I was concerned, but then fell asleep and slept well.

Today I won't take anything, even though I'd like to take both.....but I do want to sleep soundly tonight and it *seems* the GSE may be problematic (it is citrus and that can be a problem histamine wise) and probiotics can be an issue histamine wise too.....

But I just wanted to share how I went from sleeping well, to not sleeping well, because of supplements that can contribute to histamine production..... Foods will do the same to me.....

Wishing everyone the best,