• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"Reporter Excoriates Chronic Fatigue Study: I Stopped at 14,000 Words-Enough Was Enough"

Kyla

ᴀɴɴɪᴇ ɢꜱᴀᴍᴩᴇʟ
http://alumni.berkeley.edu/californ...oriates-chronic-fatigue-study-i-stopped-14000

Excerpt:
Reporter Excoriates Chronic Fatigue Study: I Stopped at 14,000 Words-Enough Was Enough
By David Tuller

Years ago, I never thought to myself, ‘Hey, I’ve gotta be the guy who writes about chronic fatigue syndrome.’ I mean, why would I? It just sort of happened. When research suggested in 2010 that the illness might be linked to a mouse retrovirus, I wrote a piece about it for The New York Times.

After that I wrote another story, and then more stories, and then a few more—probably a dozen or so in all. But within a couple of years the mouse retrovirus hypothesis fell apart. And media interest in the illness vanished.

That was a problem for me. In the course of my reporting, I’d realized that the disease was both devastating and widely misunderstood. People were really, really sick—some were homebound for months and years at a stretch. Yet their condition had been saddled with one of the most condescending names ever given a major illness...

JohnnyD

My comment .. of appreciation.

Dear David Tuller, on behalf of my sister, who has suffered for 26+ years with this hideous disease, we cannot thank you enough. From your earlier articles we always knew you ‘got it’ and showed a lot of promise if you’d just keep writing. You’ve exceeded our expectations… you are approaching, if not already there, hero status! Thank you so much!