• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Relapsing/Remitting - Vitamin D

dmholmes

I've been deficient for quite a while, perhaps most of my life. In the 16-24 ng/mL range for most tests over the last few years. Day after starting 10,000 IU complete remission for a few days, then relapse. A few days later remission again, then relapse. The cycle continues.

So out of all the various mechanisms vitamin D can have, which could have such an immediate effect?

Martial

Can't afford that often. It's up to 35 after 6 weeks.

I had some issues at first raising my levels, then my doctor said alternate 20k iu, 10k iu days for a few weeks, went back again and my levels were over 100 for over a few months now. Once it hit 115 I slowed down and take 5k IU a day now. Too much over 100 and you can run hypo thyroid symptoms and eventually cardiac issues. Not suggesting you mess with doses before talking to your doctor but something I thought was interesting. Chronic infection keeps levels very low even with high dose supplementation.

Gondwanaland

When I first tested my vit D levels in 2013 they were 12, then after 3 months supplementing went up to 44.

After that I never supplemented consitently again because it makes feel awful and makes my thyroid antibodies go higher. I think last time I supplemented for a couple of weeks in a row was last December.

My levels upped a few points without supplementation (from 38 last Jan to 45 in March), apparently influenced by probiotics. It's the only thing I can think of. It was summer and I can't stand the sun during summer.