• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Reduced Gait Automaticity In Female Patients With CFS

rosie26

Do you think this is an ataxia, poor balance, or to do with difficulties processing visual info and proprioceptive info??
I have noticed that I lose my balance much more easily, and I can't cope with walking near drops/edges at all. I'm not scared of heights but I can't balance if there's a big drop. I found myself almost completely stuck at work (when I was still trying to work) when I was trying to go down the stairs from the 4th floor and the stairs had glass on one side.... I had to hold on the banister and not look out!
I don't know, there's too much going on. I don't know what comes first and what triggers other responses. I remember being unable to walk down a steep pair of stairs when my POTS was very severe years ago. I can do that same set of stairs now.

rosie26

@rosie26 I would be curious about your answers to daisybell's question above.

I have trouble with when people, cars, or other movement is in multiple directions too. Also balance issues near an edge. I'm not sure why I have the problems and want to figure it out. Sometimes I thought it was my inner ear.
I get a thick feeling in my ears but that thick feeling is everywhere in my head. So I don't think it's the ears that are the problem really for me. It feels like activated neurons on a busy charge, that are going fast in all directions and creating that thick space by it's highly activated energy. But that energy creates a thick, dullness that is hard to get through to retrieve or retain information. There is a pressure there, I think. Hard to describe.

Last edited: