• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"Redefining the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome"

Asa

Didn't see this shared elsewhere:

"Redefining the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome" / Theodore G. Ganiats, MD / Ann Intern Med. 2015;162(9):653-654. doi:10.7326/M15-0357

The full, two-page article is for subscribers only. Page one, however, is available for free. Seems to be well-written. The "redefining" is in reference to the IOM report.

http://annals.org/article.aspx?articleid=2118972&resultClick=24

Last edited:

*GG*

Didn't see this shared elsewhere:

"Redefining the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome" / Theodore G. Ganiats, MD / Ann Intern Med. 2015;162(9):653-654. doi:10.7326/M15-0357

The full, two-page article is for subscribers only. Page one, however, is available for free. Seems to be well-written. The "redefining" is in reference to the IOM report.

http://annals.org/article.aspx?articleid=2118972&resultClick=24

Why is there a the un this title? I don't even see a need for the word there :)

GG

Asa

Why is there a the n this title? I don't even see a need for the word there :)GG

I thought this sounded strange too. It seems though that they may include the before any and all (?) syndromes. Some type of medical writing style unique to the journal? No matter how highbrow its intention though, to me it sounds something like, "I'm goin' on down to the Wal-Mart..." :)

And though I didn't notice it at first, the emphasis changes when the is added. Instead of chronic FATIGUE syndrome, I hear the chronic fatigue SYNDROME.

I wonder if chronic FATIGUE syndrome is more easily confused with chronic FATIGUE---
as compared to the chronic fatigue SYNDROME, with its emphasis on SYNDROME. (Or perhaps the CHRONIC fatigue syndrome?)

Would be interesting (to me :)) to know what style guide the journal uses. Was the once more common with syndromes in general (i.e., outside the journal)? When/why did it change? Hmmmm...

Last edited: