The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Recovery Time: Pneumonia on top of ME/CFS

Discussion in 'Autonomic, Cardiovascular, and Respiratory' started by Farmkeeper, Jan 13, 2019 at 10:40 AM.

1. Farmkeeper

Farmkeeper

I'm getting over pneumonia and recovery is slow. At this point I can't tell whether it's the pneumonia or my ME/CFS or simple laziness that is making me feel so weak. Have had the ME/CFS for many years, but am normally a lot more active than this.

2. pattismith

pattismith Senior Member

Sorry to read about your pneumonia, do you know if a virus triggered it?
    Did you get an antibiotic for it?

jesse's mom and Wolfcub like this.
  3. Wolfcub

Wolfcub Senior Member

SW UK
    It takes a little while to get over pneumonia even for a strong person. Be gentle with yourself. Rest if you feel you need to, and eat well.
    If you did take antibiotics, maybe it unbalanced your gut flora a bit?

jesse's mom and ljimbo423 like this.
  4. Farmkeeper

Farmkeeper

Yes I'm just finishing a second round of antibiotics and I've been taking probiotics throughout. Also I am 68 and have read it takes older people longer to recover from pneumonia.

Wolfcub, jesse's mom and pattismith like this.
  5. jesse's mom

jesse's mom Moderator

Alabama USA
    I was hospitalized for Flu type A and Pneumonia for 11 days about 15 months ago. I have not recovered to my earlier baseline yet. My ME/CFS is still mostly severe. I am learning to pace better and am supplementing more. Frequent PEM still.

Wolfcub likes this.
  6. Farmkeeper

Farmkeeper

Did you ever find it hard to tell which illness was making you feel bad? I originally came down with ME/CFS in 1991, and I feel almost as sick now as I did back then! Which was really sick!

jesse's mom likes this.
  7. jesse's mom

jesse's mom Moderator

Alabama USA
    I became severe after my stay in the hospital I also had Flu Type A that I think brought on the pneumonia. They treated me with antibiotics, antivirals and steroids. I had mono in the early 1980's and meningitis in 2011.

Farmkeeper likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.