• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

recommended tests from direct.com?

determined

Has anyone used this site to order tests to determine methylation status, and if so, which ones?

Does anyone have an opinion as to the reliability of this site?

I won't be seeing my CFS doctor for a while, and I want to try to test without a doctor's letterhead.

thanks if you can help!

Sorry, that's directlabs.com, not direct.com.....

maddietod

I didn't see a methylation panel listed; do they offer one? I'm also very interested in the reliability of this lab and of their tests.

richvank

Hi, determined and madietodd.

directlabs.com acts as a conduit to the labs that actually run the tests. They handle tests from several of the specialty labs, all of which must have federal CLIA certification to operate.
This doesn't mean that they never make mistakes and always have perfect quality control, but I generally find that the lab test results they give are consistent with the symptoms picture and with each other.

I've used this site myself. and referred many other people to it. I haven't received any complaints about the service. It does take some time to get the results back, but I think most of that is delay involving the labs themselves. The prices are probably higher than one could get through a doctor who deals directly with the labs, if the doctor does not tack on a fee themself, which some do.

As far as methylation testing is concerned, the Health Diagnostics methylation pathways panel is not offered through this site, but one can order urine organic acids tests from it, and they will give indirect evidence of whether there is a partial block in the methylation cycle and glutathione deficiency. The one I have used most is the Genova Diagnostics Metabolic Analysis Profile, which is on this page: https://www.directlabs.com/OrderTests/tabid/55/language/en-US/Default.aspx On this panel, the strongest marker for a partial methylation cycle block is simultaneous elevation of Figlu and methylmalonate, to the middle of the page or higher. The markers for glutathione depletion are high or low pyroglutamate, and sometimes also a big drop between citrate and the two Krebs metabolites that follow it.

This panel alone will give a good indication as to whether there is a partial methylation cycle block and glutathione depletion. However, to get the most out of this panel, and to be able to evaluate what cofactors may be deficient, it is best to run some other panels with it. If you do that, "the whole is greater than the sum of the parts," because you can use one panel to help interpret the other, and get a more complete picture. Of course, more panels means more cost, and I realize that can be a problem.

Amy Yasko is now requiring that people order a complete package of biochemical tests at the same time if they want her to analyze their results. She does offer a time payment plan over as long as 10 months. The reason she has done this is that if a person orders only one or two of these tests, there will be a lot of questions that arise from the results that cannot be answered without further testing. If the person then orders another test, it takes time to get the results back, and she has to restudy the person's earlier results in order to interpret the new ones, which is not very time-efficient. Also, if the time drags out between the tests, it isn't clear that they can be analyzed directly together, because the biochemistry can change over time, especially if a person's illness is progressing or they change supplements, or other factors. So getting them all at once does pay off in the long run, if the person can afford it. Here is the package she recommends, in addition to her nutrigenomic panel (When I analyze a case, I actually prefer to see a plasma amino acids panel, too.):

Urine Amino Acid
Metabolic Analysis Profile
Urine Toxic Metals w/ Ess. Elements
Hair Elements
Fecal Metals
Comprehensive Stool Analysis
Gastrointestinal Function Profile
NeuroTransmitter

Best regards,

Rich

maddietod

Rich -

I wouldn't mind ordering all of the relevant tests, and getting a complete picture of my situation. My problem is that I don't see a doctor, as nobody around here understands CFS, and my medical insurance is catastrophic only. If there is any way for me to have these tests done without a local doctor, I'm interested.

I've just finished 11 weeks on your protocol. Gains are slow and small, but something is getting fixed, or I wouldn't feel any difference! I'm considering adding adrenal support to my program - IsoCort or Baschetti licorice root extract - because Cortef worked amazingly well for me years ago. Would this interfere with your protocol?

Best Always,

Madie

ps I see that the test sample can't originate in Maryland. I can send it from my mother's house in Virginia.

aquariusgirl

Madie
a helpful chiro or naturopath or DO could probably order all of those tests....but then of course, you'd have to find someone to interpret.

Yasko also requires that you send in a supplement list with your tests & the supplement form she uses is based on the specific supplements she sells..which adds another layer of complexity if you're not using her tailor-made supps.

maddietod

aquarius - Yes, good idea, except that the test request/samples can't originate in MD, so I'd have to find a naturopath in Virginia. Sigh. But I'm on her protocol, using her stuff, so that part is easy.