• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Recognizing Paradoxical Folate Deficiency in Papers

Hi Reallyconfused,

Try picturing that there are 8 (or something like that) B12/folate triage levels that are supplied folate independently. If you have just enough for activating a level or 2 fully, without having to take folate from any other level no deficiency symptoms. You add a tiny bit and get a large increase in deficiency symptoms as another level starts to heal but without enough folate so it then steals from other levels. That is an artifact of taking "tiny doses". This can stretch out the deficiency symptoms making them last indefinitely. Also, you could have low potassium creeping up on you. Food based potassium, could be enough for most people if they ate 5000 calories a day. It also takes 14 hours after ingestion for peak serum level for any food based potassium. Potassium and water can start absorbing in 15 minutes by frequent experience..Also, AdoCbl and carnitine need to be in there to get the whole cycle working. Cell building needs both methylation and ATP. For me 400 mcg of folate would be intolerable. I would have a dozen or more symptoms worsening daily after a week. The induced deficiency symptoms which are what bothers people is inversely related to mfolate dose. The more you take the fewr the symptoms. Then the majority of symptoms to deal with are the ones from low [potassium or low something else or no AdoCbl and LCF.. For me it came down to copper deficiency symptoms were all that were increasing until I started copper.

Hi Fredd,

Thank you for your hard work.

I know it's an old thread, but could you tell me more about your copper deficiency?

What were your symptoms?

How much copper did you take?

I also have copper deficiency, my serum blood coppee is only 6 while normal range is from 11 to 22.

When I started taking copper the first day, I immediately felt like I was on stimulant. I had extremely dry mouth and frequent urination which I believe was due to the potassium deficiency.

Now when I take copper I don't feel the same symptoms.