• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

reactions to treatment

Hi everyone,

I have had CFS now for 12 years. I am meant to start methylation treatment. Very gradually. I have double mutation I'm told. And am to start on low dose folinic acid 400m a day. I've done it a wk and am itching, scratchy especially on face and more pimples. Same thing happened last year. Any advice? Thanks.

@sickly - Which mutations do you have?

If it's making you feel bad, it might be a good idea to stop taking the folinic acid and talk to your doctor about your side-effects.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Do you have Histamine issues or mast cell activation? Folic acid can RAISE histamines levels so may be pushing your too high and causing the itching etc - just a suggestion that you could consider.

Thank you both foreign your replies. I do have trouble with histamine. I get very red cheeks and burning hot red ears, it's looks ridiculous. I m guessing some mast cell involvement. Meantime, I ll cut dose right down an see. I just wondered if what I experienced was common.