• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Rash / itching

Other "maybes"

Lyme or a mold hit. When this happens do you get a white yeast mess on your tongue? Perhaps it could be a manifestation of candida.

I don't know if this will be relevant, but I thought I'd throw it out in case it might be helpful. I used to get flaky patches on my face, that sometimes were red, but not itchy. Moisturizer didn't help, and sometimes it looked like I had white powder on my nose and cheeks, but they were flakes of skin.

I stumbled onto the cause by accident: I'm allergic to cabbage, including broccoli, cauliflower, bok-choi, etc. I think I have a lesser but similar reaction to spinach and lettuce. When I avoid those foods, the dry patches are gone.

G

greybeh

May I ask what yours looks and feels like? When mine starts its usually red and inflamed, very itchy. As days go by, it looks like little bumps, perhaps pustules. Then it kind of dries and is very scaley in apperance and feel. Mine usually take up to three weeks to clear.

THanks, everyone for your answers! My rash looks blotchy and red, then it starts looking angry where people think it must hurt.

I see that I can post pictures. The only picture I have is just before the rash went away.

4061942569_4a4292c607_o.jpg

It does end up feeling dry and rough when it is almost healed. My chest will very often appear slightly reddish but not with an obvious rash. I used to think it all had to do with capillaries close to the surface of my skin but last time its borders were so clearly defined that I knew it wasn't just capillaries. It only gets itchy when it is really red. When it's light, it's not so bothersome at all.

Victoria

Greybeh,

I come out in a rash exactly like that when I get severely stressed & anxious (as in yesterday when I went to the local hospital emergency dept).

When the tri-aze nurse was questioning me to assess me, she commented on the rash covering my neck/upper chest.

I answered that it was common for me to get that when I turned up at the ER dept anxious & stressed - it would eventually go away (it did).

I aslo get an angry excema type rash that can quickly deteriorate into bleeding angry caked scabs from a new underarm deodorant.

1. Have you used anything new?

2. Have these rashes appeared suddenly, when you are anxious or stressed?

Victoria

PS Whether it physical (allergy) or emotional (stress/anxiety), the quickest way to get rid of MY rash is to put a dollop of vitamin E cream in the palm of my hand, put 2-3 drops of Lavender essential oil in & stir with your finger, then apply to rash morning & night for a couple of days (or more) & MY rash goes away very quickly.

Obviously if it was a new deodorant or something I would discontinue that new deodorant also.

This works for me - don't know whether it would work for you. Sometimes when you don't know what to do, the old Lavender essential oil is worth a try.

Lavender oil is one of my all round remedies for all sorts of things.

G

greybeh

I can't seem to find any rhyme or reason to this rash.

Two days ago, I broke out in a bumpy rash on my arm. I still can feel the little bumps even though the rash itself isn't nearly as visible. I ignored it. Maybe it's a reaction to dust.

I was just waiting for the chest rash to show up this past week because I am under a lot of stress at work. I'm lucky that I can still work. As I said, I have FM, and it's very well-controlled with meds and lifestyle changes (listening to my body, pacing, hot showers, heated mattress pad, etc).

However, we're moving our office to a new location. I've tried to pack a few boxes every day in preparation (was waiting for people to tell me it was too early to start packing but I didn't care -- I knew what I needed to be doing). Now, we're moving next week and I end up helping out two other departments with their move while trying to wrap up packing the common areas (supplies that were still in use).

So... where's the chest rash??? It's always "kinda there" -- my chest looks like I have a very faint sunburn... very widespread over my whole chest. I'm under more stress than usual -- like the last time the rash showed up...

But it's not as predictable as I thought it was. That's what keeps me scratching my head. I'm back to wondering about necklaces even tho I tested negative to cobalt and nickel. Or, maybe Lupus, which I know very little about but which two doctors have suggested as a possibility.

T

thefreeprisoner

Somebody mentioned in a thread on XMRV that people with ME can get rashes/itching - is that true?
In the last few weeks my legs have been very itchy. I've got a kind of very sparse spotty rash. Would love to know if anybody else has had this symptom and what you did about it.

Rachel xx