• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Rare gene variant implicates vitamin D in cause of multiple sclerosis

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
My hubby heard this on the news and i thought it might interest some here.

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2011-12-rare-gene-variant-implicates-vitamin.html

Abstract
Objective
Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a complex neurological disease. Genetic linkage analysis and genotyping of candidate genes in families with 4 or more affected individuals more heavily loaded for susceptibility genes has not fully explained familial disease clustering.
Methods
We performed whole exome sequencing to further understand the heightened prevalence of MS in these families.
Results
Forty-three individuals with MS (one from each family) were sequenced looking for rare variants in candidate MS susceptibility genes. On average over 58000 variants were identified in each individual. A rare variant in the CYP27B1 gene causing complete loss of gene function was identified in one individual. Homozygosity for this mutation results in vitamin D dependent rickets I (VDDR1), while heterozygosity results in lower calcitriol levels. This variant showed significant heterozygous association in 3046 parent-affected child trios, P=1x10-5. Further genotyping in over 12,500 individuals showed that other rare loss of function CYP27B1 variants also conferred significant risk of MS, Peto odds ratio = 4.7 (95% confidence interval 2.3-9.4, P=5x10-7). Four known VDDR1 mutations were identified, all overtransmitted. Heterozygous parents transmitted these alleles to MS offspring 35/35 times (P=3x10-9).
Interpretation
A causative role for CYP27B1 in MS is supported, indeed the mutations identified are known to alter function having been shown in vivo to result in rickets when 2 copies are present. CYP27B1 encodes the vitamin D activating 1-alpha hydroxylase enzyme and thus a role for vitamin D in MS pathogenesis is strongly implicated. ANN NEUROL 2011.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ana.22678/abstract

Justyx