• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Rare Coenzyme Q10 gene variations in ME patients

pogoman

I checked a few of the SNPs in the original post and didn't find most of them listed in my 23andme report so maybe they've reduced how many SNPs checked.

I took coq10 when my doctor tried me on statins a couple years back.
Didn't help, within a week or two I developed bad muscle pain with both statins tried and stopped taking them.
Eventually the pain returned and was diagnosed as an unknown myopathy.
Last year I found riboflavin and coq10 taken together helped alot.
Other mitochondrial cofactors I have tried in combination have also helped.
I posted in other threads about what I take and have had pretty good progress along with the methyl supps for MTHFR, I have found taking just an individual mito cofactor does not help unless the whole chain is also supported.

grapes

Old string...but I've got NEW information that fits this string and hope it will help others who might have this rare condition with CoQ10 deficiency!!

I've known for two years that something changed in me---OAT tests firmly showed mitochondria problems. And many times, CoQ10 was recommended along with the B's, l-carnitine, et et. But after two years of treating my mito problem with all the correct supps and MORE like PQQ, nothing changed. In fact, I've needed 1000 mg of liquid ubiquinol and if I go lower, I have problems! And I appear to need more! I do better on 1500 mg, it seems.

Then it dawned on me: look into CoQ10 mutations. I found eight in particular to look into: PDSS1, PDSS2, COQ2, COQ4, COQ6, ADCK3, ADCK4, and COQ9. Nothing stood out badly. A ++ mutation here or there, but mostly "no data" or no mutations.

But one of those, the ADCK3 gene, lead me to something else: the APTX gene. BINGO. I have NINE ++ mutations! Right there, I probably discovered WHY I have mito issues and why I need such a high dose of ubiquinol.

The APTX gene is about aprataxin, a protein involved in DNA repair. The mutation is a secondary cause of problems in CoQ10 biosynthesis, not a primary cause...and so far, there doesn't appear to be an understanding of WHY it causes a problem in CoQ10 biosynthesis i.e. the breakdown of ubiquinone to ubiquinol, for example. One common factor they notice is those with APTX mutations is high cholesterol. But I personally don't have high cholesterol. It's stated that mutations in this gene makes you more susceptible to genotoxic stress--and when I was exposed to mold a few years, boy was I sick. It fits.

So based on research, I need to do the following: go up to 1500 mg liquid ubiquinol. I seriously noticed I felt better when I tried that before. I just went down to 1000 mg because of cost. But I have no choice. Next, I need to do whatever it takes to avoid stress and avoid getting colds, etc, which increases free radicals. And I have to make sure I'm on plenty of solid antioxidant supplements. CoQ10 is one of them. :) I just need a higher amount than most people.

Valentijn

I have NINE ++ mutations!
This usually doesn't mean anything. You have to look at the research to see 1) if those SNPs have an impact, 2) if the SNPs aren't in strong linkage disequilibrium so each has an additive impact, and 3) the size of the impact.

People like to put lists together of SNPs, often without bothering to see if they're relevant - most SNPs are not. And most SNPs which do have an impact are having a very small one which isn't going to cause problems.

grapes

This usually doesn't mean anything. You have to look at the research to see 1) if those SNPs have an impact, 2) if the SNPs aren't in strong linkage disequilibrium so each has an additive impact, and 3) the size of the impact.

People like to put lists together of SNPs, often without bothering to see if they're relevant - most SNPs are not. And most SNPs which do have an impact are having a very small one which isn't going to cause problems.

Well, you are talking to a research fanatic i.e. I definitely started research yesterday when I saw these nine ++'s. But I have more to do and have started already.

All I knew is that I'm requiring quite high doses of CoQ10 and specifically the strength of liquid ubiquinol. Gel caps didn't touch it. I also seem to run on lactic acid. And even with 1000 mg of the ubuiquinol liquid, Spectracell said I'm functionally deficient with CoQ10. Blew me away. So I'm up to 1500 mg and will see. And those with issues with the APTX mutations are said to require quite high amounts of CoQ10. It just fits.

Hip

@grapes, if you are benefitting from Q10, you might like to look into MitoQ, which is a mitochondrially-targetted Q10 backed up by numerous studies (which you can find on PubMed). Some people on this forum got good results from MitoQ. I've yet to try it myself though, just because it's priced a bit high.

grapes

@grapes, if you are benefitting from Q10, you might like to look into MitoQ, which is a mitochondrially-targetted Q10 backed up by numerous studies (which you can find on PubMed). Some people on this forum got good results from MitoQ. I've yet to try it myself though, just because it's priced a bit high.

Thanks. I'll look into it. I'm already on a top notch liquid ubiquinol supplement. It's called Cyto-Q Max by Solace Nutrition. It's stated to be the "only liposomal encapsulated CoQ10 medical food for the dietary management of Mitochondrial Cytopathies".

I'm a bit curious about Mito-Q. Examine.com has done an article about it and doesn't feel it's as great as it's cooked up to be. They state: "Despite accumulation in the mitrochondria, however, MitoQ is a poor substrate for the electron transport chain (at complex I) and is not thought to contribute much to bioenergetics." But at the same time, not enough of Mito-Q may have been used to give great results, which is often a weakness in studies--the amounts they use. https://examine.com/supplements/mitoq/

But I'm more impressed with experiences. All I know is that Cyto-Q Max does make me feel a great deal better. It's just costly. It's cheaper to get it right on the Solace Nutrition site. They jack up the price greatly on Amazon.

I'm also curious if I can MAKE my own ubiquinol liquid by buying ubiquinol powder from China. lol.

me/cfs 27931

@grapes Cort wrote a bit about this last year.

https://www.healthrising.org/blog/2...a-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-mitoq-coq10-trial/

Some reduction in pain for fibro patients, but no benefit for ME/CFS. Personally, I tried MitoQ for 9 months and had no response at all. I've never noticed much at all from any CoQ10 supplement.

Last edited:

grapes

@grapes Cort wrote a bit about this last year.

https://www.healthrising.org/blog/2...a-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-mitoq-coq10-trial/

Some reduction in pain for fibro patients, but no benefit for ME/CFS. Personally, I tried MitoQ for 6 months and had no response at all.

How high did you go, Webdog?? I know it sounds crazy, but with my particular situation, I have to be on 1000 mg of liquid ubiquinol to feel good, and 1500 mg to hopefully not be functionally deficient. It would take far more with gel caps to get the same effect, I am afraid, for me.

me/cfs 27931

How high did you go, Webdog?? I know it sounds crazy, but with my particular situation, I have to be on 1000 mg of liquid ubiquinol to feel good, and 1500 mg to hopefully not be functionally deficient. It would take far more with gel caps to get the same effect, I am afraid, for me.
@grapes If I recall correctly, the normal MitoQ dose is 10mg/day (2 capsules). I took 10mg for 6 months followed by 20mg for 3 months.

grapes

@grapes If I recall correctly, the normal MitoQ dose is 10mg/day (2 capsules). I took 10mg for 6 months followed by 20mg for 3 months.

I've read that 10 mg of MitoQ is like taking 200 mg of non-MitoQ products, is that right?? On 500 mg of ubiquinol, I was having problems. It takes at least 1000 mg to get a good effect, and yet it's still too little for me.

And I worry that since MitoQ is ubiquinone, not ubiquinol, I might get no effect. I don't seem to be converting ubiquinone to ubiquinol....

ebethc

Does anyone supplementing with CoQ10 feel they benefit from it?

Nope

Caveat: actually taking COQ10 may not be the best way to increase it, and timing is everything, i.e., I was really exhausted when I took it. when I need lots of rest, nothing will help... I may go back and test again now that I'm a little rejuvenated and winter is over...

Last edited:

pattismith

@Valentijn , do you think that the NDUFAF1 gene is relevant in this thread?

http://www.genecards.org/cgi-bin/carddisp.pl?gene=NDUFAF1
https://www.omim.org/entry/252010

I suppose that you already know that Metformin is an inhibitor of Mitochondrial complexe I (see below)

Next time you purchase CoQ10 keep the following points in mind:

• Both CoQ10 forms—ubiquinone and ubiquinol—are important, effective and do great things for your body
The body is extremely intelligent and is capable of turning one form of CoQ10 into the other as needed
• Feel great that you are choosing such a important supplement for your health

http://www.naturemade.com/resource-...h/understanding-coq10-ubiquinone-vs-ubiquinol

it could be that my body isn't that clever...

I stopped Ubiquinol (I tryed several dosage from 50 mg to 200 mg:day) for a week because of the side effects, and switched to Ubiquinone (360 mg/day)....during this week I gradually went back to the "broken doll" state, with big difficulties walking and marked muscles weakness, and increased lumbar pain.

I took again 50 mg Ubiquinol and felt my muscle strength back...
But if I stop Ubiquinone, my lactates levels go higher....

It seems that my mitochondrial complexe I , the NADH ubiquinone reductase, an important enzyme which allows this reaction:
NADH + H+ + ubiquinone
1c37b981df851b9e54e489e017b1481e37d418f3
NAD+ + ubiquinol

is not working like it should ...and that I need to take both supplements!

I checked my missense mutations with some protein impact for this complexe I (gene NDUFAF1) and I have two heterozygous common ones

rs3204853 CA
rs1899 CT

allele frequency for these mutations are about 20% which is high, and they are labeled as "likely benign"...

(I have also a very common homozygous nonsense mutation on NDUFB9 rs6470252 TT of unknown significance)

so what!

is it that

-I don't take enough NADH supplement to convert Ubiquinone to Ubiquinol?
-something inhibits my complexe I enzyme?

I found a review of complexe I inhibitors (1998) here

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0005272898000292

But it may need an update!

A more recent publication is about complexe I inhibition by Palmitate

http://www.biochemj.org/content/ppbiochemj/387/3/677.full.pdf

Do I have too much palmitate in blood? Something that I need to dig in!:)

Good night folks, it's late here....:sleep:

Edit: Looking at wikipedia page for this enzyme, the section about inhibitors is much informative!

"Bullatacin (an acetogenin found in Asimina triloba fruit) is the most potent known inhibitor of NADH dehydrogenase (ubiquinone) (IC50=1.2 nM, stronger than rotenone).[37] The best-known inhibitor of complex I is rotenone (commonly used as an organic pesticide). Rotenone and rotenoids are isoflavonoids occurring in several genera of tropical plants such as Antonia (Loganiaceae), Derris and Lonchocarpus (Faboideae, Fabaceae). There have been reports of the indigenous people of French Guiana using rotenone-containing plants to fish - due to its ichthyotoxic effect - as early as the 17th century.[38] Rotenone binds to the ubiquinone binding site of complex I as well as piericidin A, another potent inhibitor with a close structural homologue to ubiquinone.

Acetogenins from Annonaceae are even more potent inhibitors of complex I. They cross-link to the ND2 subunit, which suggests that ND2 is essential for quinone-binding.[3] Interestingly, Rolliniastatin-2, an acetogenin, is the first complex I inhibitor found that does not share the same binding site as rotenone.[39]

Despite more than 50 years of study of complex I, no inhibitors blocking the electron flow inside the enzyme have been found. Hydrophobic inhibitors like rotenone or piericidin most likely disrupt the electron transfer between the terminal FeS cluster N2 and ubiquinone. It has been shown that long-term systemic inhibition of complex I by rotenone can induce selective degeneration of dopaminergic neurons.[40]

Complex I is also blocked by adenosine diphosphate ribose – a reversible competitive inhibitor of NADH oxidation – by binding to the enzyme at the nucleotide binding site.[41] Both hydrophilic NADH and hydrophobic ubiquinone analogs act at the beginning and the end of the internal electron-transport pathway, respectively.

The antidiabetic drug Metformin has been shown to induce a mild and transient inhibition of the mitochondrial respiratory chain complex I, and this inhibition appears to play a key role in its mechanism of action.[42]

Inhibition of complex I has been implicated in hepatotoxicity associated with a variety of drugs, for instance flutamide and nefazodone.[43]"

Last edited:

grapes