• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Rapid detoriation, any ideas?

Do you ever think things can't get any worse? I have proved that,in my case anyway, they can.

Having been battling liver discomfort, pancreas pain and gallbladder pain - last 2 have improved mostly, liver varies- I have now developed the most horrific rash all over my body. It started as random body-wide itches and a v itchy spot beneath my left foot. The foot has been covered in huge, foul-smelling (when they start to burst) blisters for over a week and I can barely walk.

The same rash is appearing on hands and fingers And other foot and my body is covered an intensely itchy, red rash that feels raised. I have worked out that I ah e it in my mouth too and suspect anus-it is burning at times. I have tried all sorts of things to no avail-tea tree oil, coconut oil, apple cider vinegar, lavender oil.

I visited my GP surgery 3 times last week- which I usually try to avoid doing because it's them that got me on the path to ill health in the first place. They each said different things and prescribed all sorts of lotions p, including a steroid cream. I pointed out every time that I am very sensitive to all medications including topical ones but got the usual NHS responses- along the lines of it will be fine etc .

The 3rd doc took one look at me and picked the phone up to call the on call dermatologist at one of Oxford's hospitals ; the up shot was I had a consultation today and have been prescribed even more stuff and been told that I need to apply 15 finger tips worth of strong steroid cream all over my body twice a day for 2 weeks. The leaflet enclosed says 1 finger tip worth for only a week and not to use on large areas.

Also prescribed anti histamines to make me sleep more so that I don't scratch in my sleep and another one for the morning to keep the itch at bay. I honestly do not think my liver will deal with the onslaught but neither do I want to risk it becoming even worse ie life threatening. They said that it is a systemic inflamed ezcema caused by the itching under my foot which is pompholyx. I have never had ezcema in my life.

I think it may be candida related - I noticed vaginal itching when got too alkaline taking mag oxide- as a stool test in November showed +2 for candida. But docs just say no, can't be related. Have begun in earnest on candida protocol following resistant starch and enzymes with probiotics- so far no obvious die-off. Have to be careful with anti- fungals because of liver but am doing a 4 days rotate between olive Leaf and uva ursi so far- will try another one after the 4 days of each is up.

I spoke to my ecological doc over the phone last week and he thinks I stirred something up when trying Folate and b 12.......and that it would run its course and go away. I would like to believe that but at the moment I have to put my hand on my heart and say that I know it is getting worse- and that I am very frightened. He didn't think I should use steroid cream but what choice do I have?!

It makes me realise how functioning I was in spite of the other issues- I am barely surviving now and feel in decline.

I am tempted to try a liver flush; already do coffee enemas- as I think this is probably a final shout from my liver saying it is clogged up. Had an ultrasound the week before last and that was normal and was meant to be having a CT scan-privately as GP says nothing wrong- but can't book in for it in this state.

I can't believe that 4 years ago I was so healthy and full of life - living life to the full and more and able to run 40 miles a week easily.

I doubt anybody has a similar story as we are all so different but am just wondering if anybody has experienced a severe decline and been able to heal out of it?

Good luck and good wishes to everybody out there- what fights we have.

Mels

Last edited by a moderator:

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Mels - I'm so sorry - that sounds so rough! I just have a couple of suggestions. Have you tried eating coconut oil and not just applying it topically? It helped me a lot with a candida infection - it caused a very strong herx reaction. I'd recommend starting with one tablespoon a day and work up to two.

Another product someone recently told me about is Kolorex - supposed to be very effective against candida. I haven't used this as I haven't needed it, but was told it was better than coconut oil for candida:
http://www.iherb.com/Nature-s-Sources-Kolorex-Advanced-Candida-Care-60-Softgels/6634

Re your liver - I'm sure you know the basics - avoid fried foods and fatty foods. Lemon juice is good to help with digestion and also is cleansing for both the liver and the gallbladder. Dandelion tea is also very good, as well as milk thistle. Several years ago I did a liver cleanse under the supervision of my chiropractor who does muscle testing - chemical toxins from a job I'd had some 30 years before were causing problems. The detox was sort of rough but well worth it. He gave me a couple of products by Standard Process, based on muscle testing. My liver was much better afterwards and I also started taking milk thistle regularly for support, also HCL with meals. You might be deficient in stomach acid, which can cause liver and gallbladder problems. If you do a search for applied kinesiology Great Britain, you can find practitioners in your area if you're interested in trying that. My chiro has helped me a lot more than most doctors, especially with digestion issues.

halcyon

Any possibility that the rash could indicate hand foot and mouth disease of viral origin?

daisybell

Never heard of this, but looked it up and followed a link which suggested that sometimes a rash like this can be associated with gluten intolerance. Do you know if you are intolerant of gluten?

barbc56

You may have already done this but make sure you report any supplements or things like coffee enemas to your doctor to rule these out as contributing to any symptoms.

Good luck. Has to feel pretty yucky!

Barb

Thanks for all your thoughts.

@Gondwanaland - I wondered about S boulardii but am sure I read on here somewhere that it may feed the candida.? Anybody any thought on that yor has my brain been eaten by my ever spreading rash?

Have ordered quercetin in case my delve into methylation has caused a histamine problem......

xrunner

Hi @Mels

If you suspect liver problems have you tested your liver enzymes?
In any case I wouldn't want to take any herbals as many are harsh on the liver or make it work harder.

If your suspect your skin problems are due to candida, there are two remedies that have always worked for me when I had rashes due to abx use:

1. Silver, it doesn't work well taken by mouth but for skin's problems is almost unbeatable. There are many brands but the one I'd recommend over any other is Mesosilver.

2. Selenium sulfide shampoo, this was suggested by my GP and it does work by applying it for about an hour to the area affected and then rinsing well.
I used the Selsun and Nizoral brands, the second one is stronger. It is highly effective. However you must be absolutely sure it's candida you're dealing with because it can irritate the skin otherwise.

Best wishes

ps: in my case coconut oil never worked.

Gondwanaland

I wondered about S boulardii but am sure I read on here somewhere that it may feed the candida.?
AFAIK it helps with fighting candida.
Have ordered quercetin in case my delve into methylation has caused a histamine problem......
As xrunner said, it might cause further damage, since you have come from an unsuccessful Oregano Oil protocol.
Be careful and take just a little of it to watch for the reactions. For instance I can't take it due to salicylate sensitivity, but it is beneficial for a lot of people.

Gondwanaland

I have ordered a probiotic from Japan called Clostrydium butyricum, which has been shown to help with leaky gut. I hope it won't be confiscated and destroyed by customs. I thought I would mention it for you. My order hasn't been delivered yet so I can't report my personal raction to it. you can search Amazon or eBay for Myarisan tablets. It has been recommended in the Resistant Starch thread.

My idea is rotate it with Saccharomyces boulardii and my low histamine probiotic mix.

@Gondwanaland Will look into this, thank you. Let me know- customs allowing!- how you get on with it. Hope it gets the thumbs up. Will research the S boulardii too.

@xrunner thank you for posting, some good points/tips

Rash still spreading but a bit less itchy on my back; hands and feet look like something from a science fiction film and hurt and itch like mad.

It never ceases to amaze me how we have to adjust to the massive demands this illness makes on us in all its many forms.

And how alone we are in our fight in terms of proper medical support.......

Gondwanaland

All I can get from my medical support is prescriptions and blood test orders... I have to research by myself what I want to be prescribed and tested for :rolleyes: