• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Radioactive Bone Scans - Will Lugol’s Protect Me?

Jigsaw

Hi,

Am due to have a radioactive bone scan, which uses a radioactive tracer to highlight any areas of bone undergoing changes common to the progression if bone cancer.

I can’t find out exactly what the radiotracer is, and am wondering if my daily dose of c.75mg Lugol’s iodine will afford me any protection.

Thoughts, anyone?

Thanks,
Jigsaw X

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
According to this article:
"Potassium iodide can provide important protection for one organ from radiation due to one radionuclide. It can only provide protection for the thyroid gland from an intake of radioiodine. It doesn't have any value in protecting other organs of the body or in providing protection from radiation from other radioactive nuclides."

The article goes on to explain why. The CDC has information about this as well.

Miso has been shown to have protective effects against radiation and some forms of cancer in mice according to this study.

A couple of excerpts from the study:
When the 2nd atomic bomb was dropped in Nagasaki on August 9th, 1945, physician Tatuichiro Akizuki, along with 20 employees, was taking care of 70 tuberculosis patients at “Uragami Daiichi Hospital” (St. Francis Hospital) about 1.4 km away from the hypocenter. However, these people including Dr. Akizuki did not have any acute radiation disease. Dr. Akizuki considered that this was the result of consuming cups of wakame miso soup (miso soup with garnish of wakame seaweed) every day4. Later, this was translated into English and became known in the West. In the Chernobyl of nuclear power plant accident on April 26, 1986, in the Ukraine, many Europeans consumed miso soup as a preventive measure for radiation diseases. Therefore, Dr. Akizuki can be considered to be the first person in Japan to point out radioprotective effects of miso for maintaining health.

Yamamoto et al.63 reported that consuming a cup of miso three times a day reduced the occurrence of breast cancer but that tofu, natto, soybean and fried bean curd did not have such an effect and women in menopause had less breast cancer when a large amount of isoflavones was consumed.