• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Quick help for viral symptoms?

Plum

I don't take zantac for gut though I take it for what I think are mast cell issues, namely severe flushing episodes. I do know that about zantac and stomach acid, I think I even started a thread about it, but not sure what I can do about it, it's the only thing that has helped the daily flushing problem, which was really making me feel quite sick each day after eating. I know there are supplements that increase stomach acid but I don't want to take those unless I know for certain I need it and have low acid. Since I previously had an ulcer I think it's advised not to take those stomach acid supplements.
I would be looking into ways of healing leaky gut if I were you. That's the issue with ulcers etc. Unfortunately a lot of meds have to be stopped in order to address leaky gut properly.

Ocean

I would be looking into ways of healing leaky gut if I were you. That's the issue with ulcers etc. Unfortunately a lot of meds have to be stopped in order to address leaky gut properly.

I don't have an ulcer, I had one like 15 years ago as a side effect of some harsh medication. It's long since healed and I don't have other stomach symptoms. I was just trying to make the point that I read not to take acid supplements if you've had an ulcer in the past. I would be open to take a supplement like that if the zantac was making my stomach acid too low but only if I could do so safely and I'm not sure how to determine if the zantac is making my stomach acid too low and if it's safe for me to take stomach acid supplements.

Ocean

A few more questions, if anyone has any thoughts on this. Could this be a herx reaction instead of a PEM type crash? I started taking boron, 3 pills a day recently, and then read recently about herxing and that boron can cause that. I stopped it a couple days ago and usually I take all meds and supplements by gradually adding them in and this time didn't do that. So far it's been about two weeks of being sick and about 3 weeks since I started boron.

Also a lot of my symptoms feel like allergy, like watery eyes, warm face, sore throat, headache. Would increasing my allergy meds help in this situation even if the symptoms are from a crash? I remember in the past when I was actively sick my IGG was very high.

baccarat

Ocean,
I'm sorry, I don't understand what the zantac is supposed to help with. For stomach/indigestion a good remedy is licorice DGL otherwise potato/cabbage juice. These two are the ones that helped me most when I used to suffer from gastritis whilst the usually recommended digestive enzymes and hydrochloric acid would make it worse.

Ocean

I see. I use zantac to help block histamine, so I would need an alternative that does that, since I don't use it to block stomach acid. I guess the way I use it is a less common use for zantac. Thank you!

baccarat

Possibly luteolin, quercetin, chinese skulcap, andrographis paniculata, ganoderma lucidum, withania somnifera. The last three may also help recover from pem.