• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Question re: insurance coverage of motorized wheelchairs (in the U.S.)

KitCat

be yourself. everyone else is already taken.
I agree. Guy at store doesn't know what he is talking about :) I am also looking into this for myself, but have not done anything with it yet.

I have read that it is important to go to the right supplier when purchasing a scooter, otherwise medicare won't cover the cost. Let me see if I can find any more about this...

OK, I found out a little more. Yes, that guy has old information. The regulations changed in 2006. You need a doctor's prescription and you need to require it inside your house (but you can take it outside as well)

It is important to go to the right kind of supplier -- this varies depending on what kind of medicare you have and where you live. If I were you, I would contact medicare and be certain that the store you are using is going to be covered for this purchase. More info is here:

http://www.medicareinteractive.org/...ay-for-your-power-wheelchair-or-power-scooter

https://www.medicare.gov/coverage/manual-wheelchairs-and-power-mobility-devices.html

KitCat

be yourself. everyone else is already taken.
Oh, sorry, I am new here and didn't realize there were more pages on this thread :)

I see you have already bought something! I hope you love it.

Gingergrrl

Oh, sorry, I am new here and didn't realize there were more pages on this thread :)

I see you have already bought something! I hope you love it.

No worries @KitCat and I am absolutely thrilled with the motorized chair that I ended up buying and it has literally changed my life and how much I am able to do. It has not improved my symptoms, which still require another test and upcoming treatment, but it has given me back a great deal of independence.

My family no longer have to push me from room to room inside of our apt and I can go anywhere in the apt on my own. A friend came to visit me this week and we were able to go outside with the motorized wheelchair and sit by the pool and some of the kids in the bldg thought the motorized chair was very cool (which I was not expecting!)

Using the motorized chair spares me from overdoing it to the level of severe gasping for breath/angina pain and has improved my QOL.

I won't have Medicare until August (which is a whole other issue I am trying to figure out) and I knew my current insurance was not going to authorize the particular chair that I wanted which is literally the only one that fits my height b/c I am short. The store was able to get me this chair (which was discontinued four years ago) at a great price so I just bought it privately and although still a bit expensive, I have no regrets and wish I had bought it sooner.