• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Question re: insurance coverage of motorized wheelchairs (in the U.S.)

Gingergrrl

The pdf is from Medicare's own page. I'm confident they've got it right at least :p

I'm sure it is correct and will read it later. The guy at the medical supply store was just wrong and clueless. I am concerned though if insurance would only give me one standard chair that doesn't fit my height and I can't use it. If we can get the $500 one on eBay, I am going to buy it and bypass a battle with insurance. I don't actually have Medicare yet although I will have it at some point in the future. Blue Shield has denied me so much stuff, am not really up for the struggle right now (even if I am correct with the law.)

Gingergrrl

Medicare's site is where I got the info too, and my doctor confirmed it. I think the guy at the store was exaggerating a little, but was not completely wrong.

He may just not have known. He is supposed to call me tomorrow to let me know if I can purchase the store model of that chair for a reduced price since they do not make it any more and my other hope is that woman from eBay responds. How long does it usually take someone to respond on eBay, I have never used it before?

taniaaust1

ebay can be great to get things from (except take care if ordering from sellers from china, Ive had quite a bit of trouble with those).

Another option which may be available to you is freecycle . I suggest to look that up (its worldwide I think?) and you could put in a request asking for a motorised wheechair. I got a free huge rainwater tank and a washing machine of a very good brand which was only just out of warrentee and still looked brand new for free throu people on there (actually I've been given two of my washing machines from there which worked like dreams for a few years).

Most individual people (not ebay stores) selling things on ebay usually check their accounts daily if they are selling something being Easter though, who knows.

Gingergrrl

It is totally individual--I suppose it depends on how badly they want to sell it!

Makes sense, thank you!

ebay can be great to get things from (except take care if ordering from sellers from china, Ive had quite a bit of trouble with those).

This seller is local to us (about 45 min away) and she is not shipping the wheelchair and we'd meet her to pick it up so we'd get to see it. I know this can be risky from stories I've heard on Craigslist but am hoping this is legit. She has a picture of the wheelchair and a lot of info.

Another option which may be available to you is freecycle

I've never heard of that, thank you!

Most individual people (not ebay stores) selling things on ebay usually check their accounts daily if they are selling something being Easter though, who knows.

True and we assumed/hoped we'd hear something tomorrow (Mon.)

Gingergrrl

No word yet from the eBay woman and I called the medical supply store who hadn't gotten any info yet and is going to call me back. Whichever one comes through first, I think I will buy b/c I don't think I will find another chair like this which fits my apt doorways and my height and is at a reduced price. The model is discontinued so hoping one of these will pan out!

Gingergrrl

This wheelchair saga is dragging on another day... the medical supply store said the manager would not be in until tomorrow so they have no idea if he will allow me to purchase the used floor model. eBay woman never responded to us so am concerned maybe she sold it to someone else.

My husband and I went to a second medical supply store today who confirmed that the model that I want was discontinued four years ago. They had only one model and it is the one I already tried which is too tall for me. If I were about two inches taller, then my back could sit against the back of wheelchair and my feet could touch the foot rests at the same time but sadly I am not and it cannot be lowered.

She said a new model will be coming out of the chair that fits my height (not sure when?) but it is $3500 which I cannot pay right now. But the one on eBay for $500 of my model would be phenomenal or even the store model which he said would be around $1600 but he'd get me a better deal if manager allows him to sell it.

Only other option is to have something custom made for my height but cannot imagine what that would cost. We are going to check out Craigs List and all the other ideas from this thread. I really want that motorized wheelchair which would be a game changer allowing me to be more independent in the apt and even outside. This is so frustrating and just had to vent.

Valentijn

My husband and I went to a second medical supply store today who confirmed that the model that I want was discontinued four years ago. They had only one model and it is the one I already tried which is too tall for me.
Medical supply stores aren't great for scooter or wheelchair shopping. Do you have a scooter shop in the area? Our local one has at least 50 different models on the floor, and 9 electric wheelchairs. And this is in a small city.

Gingergrrl

Medical supply stores aren't great for scooter or wheelchair shopping. Do you have a scooter shop in the area? Our local one has at least 50 different models on the floor, and 9 electric wheelchairs. And this is in a small city.

Hi Val, thanks for this info and I think we actually found a solution to the wheelchair drama. But to answer your question, I have no idea if we have a scooter shop here and if we do, would it sell motorized wheelchairs that are not scooters? I cannot use a scooter b/c I am unable to hold my arms up in front of me in the normal scooter position and need to keep them by my sides (where my elbows touch my waist) and this is how I type on computer, etc.

We found a guy on Craigslist with a used version of my motorized chair for $300 but then this fell through this morning when he told us either the battery was dead or it was broken so we declined.

Then we called the Medical Store again and the guy still had not spoken to his manager who has been out of the office but said we could rent the chair for $300/month. This is actually ideal b/c I need it now (really can no longer walk at all b/c of my lung weakness) and by renting we can confirm that it fits through all the doorways, etc, in our apt.

The guy said a newer version of this chair (with same measurements so it fits my height) is coming out very soon and he was totally wrong when he said it was $3500 and it's only $1800. If we buy it, he'd not only give us a discount for all the trouble we've been through but he'd apply my $300 rental fee to the new one.

So my husband is picking up the rental one now and I am so excited b/c this will be a game changer in my QOL. Am hoping nothing falls through with this plan and it works out.

Gingergrrl

Enjoy your newly found mobility. Let us know how it goes.

I have the z-chair at home now and it is amazing! We moved into this new apt in Sept 2015 and today was the first day (with the motorized chair) that I could go from the bedroom to the bathroom to the kitchen to living room to my daughter's bedroom, etc, all by myself. I could go anywhere in apt without someone else pushing me in wheelchair and without getting out of breath and burning lung pain. It was absolutely amazing!!!

My dog didn't quite know what to make of the wheelchair (if it was friend or foe) and just stared at it and tilted her head to try to grasp what it was. As I moved it (on the very slowest speed) she kept backing up a few inches (like a backwards moonwalk LOL.) I thought she might bark at it but she didn't so far.

The manager finally got to the medical supply store and said unfortunately we cannot buy this chair but can rent it as long as we want (and I now have it for one month.) It turns all the corners/doors in my apt so this is a non-issue. The new version is called a "go-chair" instead of a "z-chair" and they said it is virtually the same but I have to measure this one and verify it really fits my height.

If it does, they can get it for me at a discount and also subtract the rental fee for this month so it's a pretty good deal. Am really excited to have this chair like it's my birthday and Christmas LOL.

Gingergrrl

Just wanted to post an update that I just bought my own motorized wheelchair which should arrive in about a week!!!

I rented one for the month and absolutely love it but the model that I am renting was discontinued about four years ago. But, it turns out that it was replaced with a new model that is virtually identical but had to get a new name b/c of Medicare rules and other bureaucratic nonsense. I was able to try out a used version of the new model today at the medical supply store and we compared the measurements and they are identical.

So I ordered my own and will have it very soon. They gave me a huge discount and applied my rental fee to the new chair so I got a great deal for a brand new one. When I first tried it in the store last weekend, I was clueless and was moving on the slowest speed and couldn't turn corners and crashing into things. But after a week of practice at home, I am a pro and the clerk at the store was so impressed, he couldn't believe I was the same person from a week ago!

Often at home if I had to go to the bathroom or get something in another room and no one was home or available to help me, I would just say "forget it" in my mind but now I can go literally anywhere in the apt on my own and get anything that I need for myself. It doesn't cure my illness or speed up the treatment that I hope to start in the upcoming months but it greatly improves my quality of life.

Just wanted to share my good news! We need a little wheelchair icon LOL :star::star::star:

ETA: And I keep the rental until the new one arrives so I am never without one.

Firefly_

I know what you mean, I just listen to them complain and make sympathetic noises, but inside I'm generally being less than kind lol (maybe downright snarky!, I forgive myself and applaud that I don't say it out loud hehe).

Gingergrrl

It's really amazing the things we take for granted till we lose what seems like almost everything, then the smallest increase in our QOL and we are like kids in Disneyland :woot:

This is really true and I have a much deeper appreciation for the smallest things in life and my focus has totally shifted. I was never a superficial person, but I took things for granted like walking to the grocery store and carrying home my groceries and then putting them away. Now when I see people doing this who have no appreciation of the level of lung and muscle strength that it requires, I am in awe and want to tell them, "I was you three years ago and it can all be taken away in a heartbeat." But three years ago, I had no concept of this myself so I understand why they do not either.