• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Question for former athletes/fitness rats

pogoman

Wasn't sure whether to start a new thread about my recent activities but I remembered this thread and it seems be the most relevant.

I've been off IVIG since October and just on methotrexate, also fighting edema since January and had to stop the meloxicam.
Long story short, my new to me primary doctor got involved and put me on a durietic and ordered lab tests after an abdominal ultrasound found gallstones and a thickened gallbladder wall.
She ordered albumin and prealbumin labs, I never had the prealbumin test before.
Low levels can cause water retention and are signs of low protein intake.

My albumin level was normal like its been for years but the prealbumin test she ordered showed that it was at 5 mg/dl, normal is 17 to 34 mg/dl.
Low prealbumin and normal albumin levels seem to be present where a disease is involved.
After researching prealbumin I went on a high protein diet including protein powder, l-glutamine and branch chained amino acids.
Apparently Kaiser agrees as they have given me a referal to the nutrition dept and emailed me that it may be connected to my myopathy.

So far in 4 weeks, I've lost 10+ pounds, IBS symptoms are much better, my foot/ankle tendonitis thats been killing me for months has greatly improved and I have more energy.

The bad part is I am sleeping much deeper the last half of the night and I have really bad neuropathy everywhere now.
In the body, arms/hands down to the foot.
The deeper the sleep I go into, the worse the pain and stiffness, it wakes me up and I have to take pain meds.
This may be a sign of nerve regeneration as I've read it can be painful, I don't see my neuro til late June so will ask him then.

Johnskip

What type of training did you do prior to falling ill? Im wondering if we have always had somewhat weak mitochindria and therefore aerobic systems.
For instance, i was phenominal anaerobically but moderate to poor aerobically and had a bitch of a time increasing my aerobic threshold vs an easy time with anaerobic.

Im curious if we always had a weakness in our oxygen delivery and consumption without realising it.
I feel the same way basketball player here