• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Question about this Lyme disease study from Tulane

Parismountain

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0029914

I can't decide if I'm reading this correctly but my question is in experiment 2 did they prove that monkeys treated for 7 months on antibiotics, that they then let ticks feed on the monkeys and then tested the ticks for disease and found it? Is that admitting that if we're similar to monkeys in regards to Lymes disease that 7 months after treatment you can turn a tick into a carrier?

If that's true I don't see how science can claim there is no such thing as late stage lymes disease.

Anybody venture to explain this to me?

Ema

That's how I read it as well. But I can't explain how science can claim there is no such thing as late/chronic Lyme's either...

Ema

Allyson

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0029914

I can't decide if I'm reading this correctly but my question is in experiment 2 did they prove that monkeys treated for 7 months on antibiotics, that they then let ticks feed on the monkeys and then tested the ticks for disease and found it? Is that admitting that if we're similar to monkeys in regards to Lymes disease that 7 months after treatment you can turn a tick into a carrier?

If that's true I don't see how science can claim there is no such thing as late stage lymes disease.

Anybody venture to explain this to me?

we have o much to learn about Lyme it seems to me - andy no such thing statements they make would be premature IMO

ALLY

valentinelynx

From this study and several others (sorry don't have what it takes to post links right now), try the ILADS site, I think those who claim that there is no such thing as chronic, late stage, or relapses in Lyme Disease are simply ignoring the evidence. You will also see them say things like, "Well, just because there's still bacteria in the body; doesn't mean it's causing disease"! Really! Sadly, so-called scientists are humans first, with all of the faults therein. Wanting to never have to admit you were wrong is a strong motivator.